Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock, untouched radio setup. All of a sudden the new (at the time, 2016) ACDelco battery would go dead after sitting over a weekend. Did a draw test by pulling each fuse and found no reading after pulling the radio fuse a few years ago.

The power antenna no longer operates without the radio fuse in place, but I still have light reception and the in car unit still functions. The antenna did not run or buzz after going up or down when it was still operational.

I'd like to have my radio back, but I'm not sure if it's the power antenna, the trunk unit, or what actually is the problem. Any ideas on how to diagnose and troubleshoot further would be appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You will need same easy procedure to find your draw. If you do suspect your radio, replacing it is no big deal. A friend of mine had the "eject" button on his radio malfunction, and it would pull a little less than 1 amp at all times, and it damaged the battery. Good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you do the test at the fuse block, or at wiring harness?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
As far as finding the draw itself, testing was done at the battery. Pulled all body fuses (MIN fuse panel on driver's side dash) until amp reading went to zero.

Beyond that, I need assistance as to diagnose any further. There's a used radio unit in a 68,000 mile car sitting in a salvage yard with front end collision damage, but I'm not much for buying parts without knowing a part is the culprit.

Knowing what fails in these radios helps too. Several people "rebuild" them, so there are fixes as long as you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After reading these posts a couple more times I realized, I do not think my radio has an electric draw on it, it really only work when it wants to, and if it doesn't then it won't work at all.

The LED will always light up, but when it is acting up it will not power off even when the knob is turned, volume will not change, and radio stations can not be changed. When the car is turned off it will power down, but when it gets cranky it just goes crazy. And it is cranky more often than not these days.

·
Registered
920 Posts
After reading these posts a couple more times I realized, I do not think my radio has an electric draw on it, it really only work when it wants to, and if it doesn't then it won't work at all.

The LED will always light up, but when it is acting up it will not power off even when the knob is turned, volume will not change, and radio stations can not be changed. When the car is turned off it will power down, but when it gets cranky it just goes crazy. And it is cranky more often than not these days.
Sounds pretty much like my ex-wife.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts