Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Sedan Deville
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Sedan Deville that rides quite rough. It has very little power, and while steadily depressing the accelerator, will cause a sudden jolt of power. It idles very rough, rough enough that it does stall sometimes when slowing down or driving slowly in a parking lot. Also, it backfires slightly sometimes while accelerating. Also, when i am sitting at a red light, i can sometimes smell gasoline fumes coming from the outside. Only other thing i can think to mention is that it tends to drive better when its cold (at least cold by miami standards, 60 degrees or less :)) outside.

It is currently pulling codes E31, E53 and E71. So far i have replaced the map sensor, which eliminated a previous code i had been pulling (E85), but the car runs exactly the same. I am not sure what to look at here and any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Coupe Deville 4.1 V8 & 4.3 V6 Deisel & 1970 Eldorado
773 Posts
I will eventually be accused of sounding like a broken record here but, A Factory Service Manual is your best friend! It has complete drive-ability diagnostic procedures that will assure a methodical approach to fix your issues. There are a multitude of causes to the symptoms you describe and the diagnosis can be involved. One of the most expensive ways you can repair a complex automobile like ours is with the "I think it might be this and replace the part" method. Modern built in diagnostics are extremely helpful narrowing down the defective part but they can also be misleading. The manual will take you through a diagnostic tree that was designed to be the most effective method of truly determining the root cause of your problem.

Good luck and have a great day!

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,448 Posts
I would suggest you check your fuel pressure, but before you do anything, locate that gasoline smell. That points to a gas leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts