Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Sedan DeVille 4.9
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haven't seen this in the forum. on cold days/nights my door lock mechanism freezes. de-icer doesn't help. in order to get into my 93deville, I have to open the trunk, press the unlock button a few times to unlock the back doors. climb over the seat, and I'm in. am I the only one with this problem?

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Re: haven't seen this in the forum.

white lithium in the latch assembly to lubricate

contact cleaner in the motors

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
530 Posts
I had mine freeze once in January... even the key got stuck in there. I got some of that deicer than you insert in the keyhole and no problems since.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Don't think I've had a lock freeze since my first car ('61 Ford).

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
Mr

In the brutal winters here in Michigan the locks freeze on my Caddy`s especially after a car wash.
I`ve tried lithium grease and they still freeze---I`ll have to try the WD-40.
Sometimes I actually have to bring out a hair blow dryer, set it on high heat and hold it close to the lock until it melts the ice within.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
404 Posts
In December, I found a VATS Gold key online for a good price and had it cut at my local locksmith. I noticed when it's really cold (Less than 25deg) it's hard to push the key in. Although, my original key has no problems.

I also noticed the horn was harder to push in really cold weather (<10 degrees outside).

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I've had the latches in other cars freeze, but never the Deville. Once you get the door open spray the latch part on the side of door with lock deicer.

·
Registered
2006 CTS
258 Posts
Very familiar with the problem. Just about always when my '93 DeVille gets wet, either from Washing it, a Rain Storm or Ice or Snow that melted the day before, my Doors will be froze shut when the temperature drops below about 25 degrees or more.

The Button will actually freeze and when I finally get that freed-up, sometimes the Door itself will not open. When I can finally get that open, the Button will stay pushed in which prevents to Door from Latching correctly.

The WD-40 idea sounds good. I'll be trying it out, although the cold weather is pretty much over here, lol.

Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts