Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 1993 Cadillac DeVille that runs fine but it has a couple of issues. I am 18 and have not worked on any vehicle ever in my life so I don't really know a lot about cars I've have a couple of people look at it to try and figure it out. The digital instrument cluster will turn on when the car starts but it will freak out and then turn off, the fuel data center never turns on, no air comes through the vents, and the radio doesn't work. The right turn signal also doesn't come on but I've been told that's probably just a bulb.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,980 Posts
I recently got a 1993 Cadillac DeVille that runs fine but it has a couple of issues. I am 18 and have not worked on any vehicle ever in my life so I don't really know a lot about cars I've have a couple of people look at it to try and figure it out. The digital instrument cluster will turn on when the car starts but it will freak out and then turn off, the fuel data center never turns on, no air comes through the vents, and the radio doesn't work. The right turn signal also doesn't come on but I've been told that's probably just a bulb.
================
OK Mr dopeman -
SO - you have never worked on a car before -
I'm guessing that you don't have a large selection of tools either -
what about basic mechanical aptitude - skill level?
can you turn a wrench?
can you read an electrical schematic?
do you know how to use a DVOM - or a test light?

your problem MIGHT be as "simple" as a bad ground -
FINDING the bad ground - well - THAT'S another story -

could be a fuse - burned out bulb - wiring chewed up by rodents - faulty modules -

rather than addressing ALL the issues at once -
it might be easier to deal with them one-at-a-time -
what has the highest priority?

what do you want US to do?
we can offer suggestions such as what to look for and how to test things -
but it's going to be difficult if you don't have any tools -

what do YOU want to do?
learn HOW to fix this stuff yourself -
or pass the information to someone else -

what is your BUDGET for these repairs?

·
Registered
2 Posts
================
OK Mr dopeman -
SO - you have never worked on a car before -
I'm guessing that you don't have a large selection of tools either -
what about basic mechanical aptitude - skill level?
can you turn a wrench?
can you read an electrical schematic?
do you know how to use a DVOM - or a test light?

your problem MIGHT be as "simple" as a bad ground -
FINDING the bad ground - well - THAT'S another story -

could be a fuse - burned out bulb - wiring chewed up by rodents - faulty modules -

rather than addressing ALL the issues at once -
it might be easier to deal with them one-at-a-time -
what has the highest priority?

what do you want US to do?
we can offer suggestions such as what to look for and how to test things -
but it's going to be difficult if you don't have any tools -

what do YOU want to do?
learn HOW to fix this stuff yourself -
or pass the information to someone else -

what is your BUDGET for these repairs?
Okay, so I am this guy’s friend in real life. I have all the tools that we would need including fluke multimeter, test light, full mechanics tool kit, etc. What we’re really looking for is just some basic advise. Such as what is the most common point of failure (I.e. the cluster itself, or perhaps the harness that’s leads to it.

I have had the dashpad off, and the gauge cluster out and found corrosion in the right plug, the on that goes onto an edgecard on the main board of the cluster. I cleaned the corrosion off, and it helped a little bit, as it stayed on for a little longer.

So would anyone be able to more or less give a general idea of what it could be, or perhaps where I should start diagnoses? I have worked on quite a few cars and trucks in my day, but never a Cadillac. But, I can understand board layouts, and car diagrams.

Thanks in advance,
Bob.

·
19,980 Posts
Okay, so I am this guy’s friend in real life. I have all the tools that we would need including fluke multimeter, test light, full mechanics tool kit, etc. What we’re really looking for is just some basic advise. Such as what is the most common point of failure (I.e. the cluster itself, or perhaps the harness that’s leads to it.

I have had the dashpad off, and the gauge cluster out and found corrosion in the right plug, the on that goes onto an edgecard on the main board of the cluster. I cleaned the corrosion off, and it helped a little bit, as it stayed on for a little longer.

So would anyone be able to more or less give a general idea of what it could be, or perhaps where I should start diagnoses? I have worked on quite a few cars and trucks in my day, but never a Cadillac. But, I can understand board layouts, and car diagrams.

Thanks in advance,
Bob.
=================
OK -
you're on the right track for the cluster if cleaning the contacts made a difference -
HOWEVER - all that "flashing" and power surges MIGHT have damaged the circuit board itself -

you might try picking up a used cluster at the bone yard -

he said no air comes through the vents -
I assume this means the blower doesn't work -
the blower speed control module is a well known cause -
they are EXPENSIVE - over $100 -
there are TWO different models -
one has a 3-prong plug along with a 2-prong plug -
the other has a 4-prong plug along with a 2-prong plug -

one of our members - Harry Yarnell - usually has good used ones for sale for a LOT less -

as for the inop radio - there were SEVERAL different radios available - BOSE and non-BOSE -
it's back to the basics -
check fuses - check for power at the radio - etc -

for the turn signal -
do the obvious thing first - check the bulbs -

I hope this gets you started -

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah there’s power at the radio, it just doesn’t turn on I know for a fact that needs swapped. They used to put the similar ones in Chevy trucks and they always had issues.

As for the signal, yeah your correct I’m the one that said it’s probably just a bulb lol.

Next time we disassemble the dash, Ill multimeter the cluster and check the resistors and traces. All the fuses were good, so I assume it’s more than likely it’s the cluster itself.

Thanks for sharing a seller for some interior parts too!

Extreme thanks for the help, and pointers,
-Bob

·
19,980 Posts
Yeah there’s power at the radio, it just doesn’t turn on I know for a fact that needs swapped. They used to put the similar ones in Chevy trucks and they always had issues.

As for the signal, yeah your correct I’m the one that said it’s probably just a bulb lol.

Next time we disassemble the dash, Ill multimeter the cluster and check the resistors and traces. All the fuses were good, so I assume it’s more than likely it’s the cluster itself.

Thanks for sharing a seller for some interior parts too!

-Bob
====================
that's what we do - and why we are here -

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check your fuses. Also, could be a loose connection somewhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts