Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1993 DeVille 4.9L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the infamous antenna problem happened to mine. It just wouldn't go down one day, and it constantly made this humming noise like it was trying to bring it down but it just wouldnt come down (and this would continue 24/7 even when the key is not in the ignition). I just pulled out the power cord to the antenna and this solved that problem, but it irks me that is stuck in the up position.
Is there any way to move it down so it can at least be stuck down?:stirpot:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,115 Posts
You'll have to open it up and see what is jamming it. Might have to cut the cable and pull it out to get the mast down.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Well the infamous antenna problem happened to mine. It just wouldn't go down one day, and it constantly made this humming noise like it was trying to bring it down but it just wouldnt come down (and this would continue 24/7 even when the key is not in the ignition). I just pulled out the power cord to the antenna and this solved that problem, but it irks me that is stuck in the up position.
Have you considered the possibility that with your antenna stuck down your radio is going to sound like sh*t?

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
Well what a coincidence. Just last night, I found this excellent thread in Tech Tips forum with pics and everything on how to get the darn thing out, retract it and even repair it. Here it is

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/169176-how-rebuild-power-antenna.html

DO NOT try to reply on the Tech tip forum tho' I made that mistake. It won't let you ask any questions on this form, but N*Caddy did answer my question via PM that "no you don't need to remove that rubber nubby thingy" Here is his answer to my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMENCADDY
OMG! I tried to post to Tech Tips forum for the 1st time a reply/question re: TechTip "How to rebuild the power antenna" but failed to realize the rules that questions wouldn't get posted. (duh!) Live and learn! but maybe PMing you will work. Here is my question / reply:

My antenna will not retract and was all unplugged since I bought my car. Now I know I could proceed how to rebuild it but, I can not figure out how to remove the rubber nubby and bolt thingy on the exterior where the mast protrudes from. I've tried needle nose pliers, etc. Now I wonder if I even need to do that. does it just slip right thru there? Could you give me a clue, please? I have avoided this minor problem since the radio works fine but I'd like to get to it one of these days. Thanks in advance.

Hello,

No need to remove that bolt thing, the antenna should SLIDE down, the rubber might be tight a little around the antenna but in the end will slide down inside the trunk while the rubber thing will remain attached to the rear quarter. Just unscrew the ONE screw attaching the antenna bracket to the car body then pull on the antenna down (bracket and all). Twisting left right while pulling down will help. Again there is nothing to unscrew/remove other than the ONE screw attaching the bracket to the car body (and the wires obviously). Observe the tip of the antenna in this picture:

Notice that although is getting smaller to the top, it has a collar, that is the part you have to wrestle with to slide it down from the rubber. Now, normally in order to remove the antenna the mast should be retracted but since is stuck extended you just need to pay more attention not to bend it. Once the antenna slides down clearing the rubber you can just remove (easily) the rubber. Will come out up over the mast and the opening in the rear quarter with no rubber should be enough to allow you pulling the antenna in the trunk (diagonally) all the way until the mast clears the opening. Should be 1-min job at most (no mast bending!).

·
Registered
1993 DeVille 4.9L
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, that was easy. As soon as I unscrewed the part on the top where it actually shows on the exterior of the vehicle, the mast came right out. The cable that controls it was copmletely severed, so I just chopped off the excess cable and it had enough room to go down, so now it's down. Thanks

·
Registered
1997 Deville D'Elegance
43 Posts
I know this post is a little old, but hopefuly this will help someone who searches for a Power Antenna Fix. I saw your post and figured I may be able to help. My power antenna stopped working a while back, stuck in the up position. I could hear the motor running trying to pull the antenna down w/no luck. I found out later that my white plastic cord/cable had broken.
I figured I had to spend the $200 or so for a complete new Delco unit from a dealer or get the universal Metra power antenna (crutchfield) and splice all the wires to make it work.

Well with some luck, I found a website that has what I needed. Google "antennamastsrs" or click this link http://www.antennamastsrus.com and search for your car. Be sure to pick the correct piece you need. I only needed a new cable since my mast wasn't bent/broken AND my antenna motor still worked. The install takes some time but it is doable as long as you understand how the mechanism works. You can also send your unit to them and they'll install the cable for you. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts