Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Deville 4.9 that is in need of a water pump removal and replacement. I need info on what is the best way to attack this animal? From the top or from the bottom. Also will I need any special tools outside of torx bits. If you have any tips or tricks fire away. One more question where will I get the best price on the pump on the net. I was told the pump is around $150.00 does that sound right? Thanks and Have a great day

·
Registered
2 Posts
jetmech said:
I have a 1993 Deville 4.9 that is in need of a water pump removal and replacement. I need info on what is the best way to attack this animal? From the top or from the bottom. Also will I need any special tools outside of torx bits. If you have any tips or tricks fire away. One more question where will I get the best price on the pump on the net. I was told the pump is around $150.00 does that sound right? Thanks and Have a great day
I just had this done by my mechanic on my 92. I'll check with him on Monday and try to let you know.

FLASHMAN

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
It's really a piece of cake from the top with the exception of the rear-most torx head bolt. For that one, I use a 1/4" ratcheting wrench and the torx bit alone (very tight area). I would only use new pumps on those cars and not a rebuilt unit since so many of the original pumps were defective and have wound up as cores for the rebuilt units.
Oh, almost forgot, inspect the pulley carefully for cracks around the bolt holes (very common).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts