Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm is desperate need of all 4 top of the fender trim moldings (the so called spears) for my 1996 Fleetwood. Mine have all bubbled up and supposedly all the Fleetwoods did this, and now the car is 20 years old and the parts are most likely not available from GM any more.

Does anyone have these or know where to get them all? I need all 4. Thanks. :worship:

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood Brougham, dark Adriatic Blue Metallic
149 Posts
Yep, I need them also on the otherwise good-shape 94 I recently picked up. Hard to believe Cadillac used such crappy, cheap stuff on a $40K (20 years ago) car.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There's a guy over on layitlow.com that makes them out of solid aluminum. No more bubbling.
Anyway you could provide a link to it/him? I went there and did a couple searches but couldn't find anything about the aluminum "spears". I would imagine they're pretty pricey.

·
Registered
66DeVille Vert 76Coupe Delegance 07Escalade ESV 96Fleetwood 83Coupe Deville 70Calais
661 Posts
I bought this stuff to do my fleetwood

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-1-2-x-20-Half-Round-Wheel-Well-Band-Molding-Chrome-/200183734944?hash=item2e9be162a0:g:SJgAAOSwRLZT5L6h&item=200183734944&vxp=mtr

Youll have to measure the length of the 4 spears, I cant remember how many feet I bought. It matches the tear drop shape as the fleetwood spears. Only difference will be the front youll have to grind or cut a point to imitate the factory spears, and it wont be chrome on the ends of course but that was no big deal to me, nobody ever pointed that out. Still looks a million times better, I was very happy. Took me 2 hours to remove the old double sided tape that was on the back ones, very carefully with a razor and taping off the paint. If you had one of those attachments to a drill that removes that sticky crap it would go so much faster.

2013-09-23 16.56.39.jpg

The guy on layitlow and facebook Steven Kurutz makes them out of aluminum and they are exact replicas with the correct ends too. They started at $400 a set and I think hes at $300 now. Its good to have his option out there. Its up to you how much you want to spend. There are basically no OEM pieces left so these are the 2 choices.

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood 1968 coupe DeVille
1,152 Posts
unless he changed it up, I thought he was originally making the spears out of stainless, very nice quality though and never have to worry about peal and flaking

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought this stuff to do my fleetwood

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHROME-1-2-x-20-Half-Round-Wheel-Well-Band-Molding-Chrome-/200183734944?hash=item2e9be162a0:g:SJgAAOSwRLZT5L6h&item=200183734944&vxp=mtr

Youll have to measure the length of the 4 spears, I cant remember how many feet I bought. It matches the tear drop shape as the fleetwood spears. Only difference will be the front youll have to grind or cut a point to imitate the factory spears, and it wont be chrome on the ends of course but that was no big deal to me, nobody ever pointed that out. Still looks a million times better, I was very happy. Took me 2 hours to remove the old double sided tape that was on the back ones, very carefully with a razor and taping off the paint. If you had one of those attachments to a drill that removes that sticky crap it would go so much faster.

View attachment 370921

The guy on layitlow and facebook Steven Kurutz makes them out of aluminum and they are exact replicas with the correct ends too. They started at $400 a set and I think hes at $300 now. Its good to have his option out there. Its up to you how much you want to spend. There are basically no OEM pieces left so these are the 2 choices.
Wow, great info on the Ebay stuff. Was it hard to apply it in a perfectly straight line where the OEM stuff had been? Is it easy to cut to size and have the cut end look OK (not squished out at all from the knife/scissors or whatever)?

·
Registered
66DeVille Vert 76Coupe Delegance 07Escalade ESV 96Fleetwood 83Coupe Deville 70Calais
661 Posts
It returns to normal shape after you cut it, just use big wire cutters. I shaped the front end to sort of have a dull point to it, looked fine. I used masking tape above and below the old stuff not just to protect the paint when cleaning off the old gunk but when applying the new one i had a guide to go along. I got it plenty straight.

20140728_141348-2.jpg

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can anyone PM me with This Steve Kurutz person's contact info? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did order that set from Steve a while back. I had one piece put on. It looks good. The others will wait. until I can get the water spots off the paint and glass.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,441 Posts
I bought a set of those aluminum spears for my 95 FWB, maybe 6 years ago. I put them on , a little tricky, but they are still on and look good.. Two years ago I bought my 96 FWB and it needed spears bad. So rather paying $400+ for another set I got what it takes to make my own, material , polish and tools. They came out great. I made 2 more sets for my friend. But now my 94 fleetwood is starting to look bad. I have had the 94 the longest I got it in 2001. When I got it the spears were already starting to look bad and not long after that I put new ones on, that's when you could still get new ones from the dealer.

·
Registered
2015 ATS Coupe
18 Posts
You sir are a champ. That's how it should have came. Looks like real luxury. The stock stuff was pretty cheapo. Looks so horrible now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts