Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1992 cadillac Seville STS 4.9L
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, thanks in advance! well i have a 92 cadillac Seville 4.9L which i did a head gasket job on
which turned out ok , next a timing cover replacement becouse a stud broke while tighting the nut for the water pump ,
next replaced injector # 8 which was dumping fuel into cylinder ! Fixed got new iinjectors !! NOW
car wont start ! some spark plugs but not all are covered with fuel at electrode , i have great
compression from all cylinders ! Thought maybe spark plug wires mixed but nope there correct order ! anyhow new plugs looked fouled now and some with fuel on them but not all and car wont start, funny thing is
it ran perfect 2 days ago after head job was done along with retiming the car and cover replacement even with bad injector in which was a intermittent one ! I have no idea what else to check for any help
would be appreciated puzzled how things can go new good to bad oh crap overnight when nothing was touched or did differently from running great to fuel In cylinders and engine no start ??????? Help
please

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet jumping back on today my mechanic thinks a timimng issue with distributor wel let me say this the car was running after we got heads back together did the timeing car started and smoothed out just nice , then we notice injector 8 was spitting fuel
Constantly so we replaced those thinking ok thats it lets start this beast and to no avail it didnt start and sounded like hell trying
to ! flames from throttle body anyhow pulled plugs and noticed there covered witn fuel just plain old weird would run fine after all this repair and belly up over night !!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well if anyone cares to know the problem was a bent push rod at cylinder 8 same place as bad injector i gues the fuel spitting out caused a hydrolock and bent the rod ! replacing rod in the morning anyone wanting to chime in on this go ahead ive basically did engine over haul on this 4,9 motor so i can be of assistance if needed thamks ranger for your help too

----------

Oh the bent rod also was a cause of no start and timing being off !!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,366 Posts
Damn lucky to get away with a pushrod and injector. Collateral damage (lifter, cam lobe, piston, con rod) could have been terminal .................

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok well after all that push rod was fine money burning !! Car still won't start timing is spot on doing a compression check now funny thing is after new heads were installed car ran and fired up ran smooth once it was tuned next day noticed injector was not working properly when car wouldn't start so starting doing chexk off list and to no avail car still no start I have no idea what Else to check beSides compression check but I have. Feeling that's fine too I had no other prob with car besides the heAd gasket failure now I have all this other crap going on ?? Any suggestions please anything at this point will help

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,998 Posts
Well if anyone cares to know the problem was a bent push rod at cylinder 8 same place as bad injector i gues the fuel spitting out caused a hydrolock and bent the rod ! replacing rod in the morning anyone wanting to chime in on this go ahead ive basically did engine over haul on this 4,9 motor so i can be of assistance if needed thamks ranger for your help too

----------

Oh the bent rod also was a cause of no start and timing being off !!
==============================
i gues the fuel spitting out caused a hydrolock and bent the rod
hydrolock could/would/might bend a CONNECTING rod -
but it has nothing to do with a bent PUSH rod -

Oh the bent rod also was a cause of no start and timing being off
not so sure about that either -
it would certainly cause a problem with the #8 cylinder firing -
but I wouldn't think a single bent push rod could cause an engine not to start -
and can't figure out how it could affect ignition timing -

oh well - I hope it works out for you -

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so when I noticed the injector filling cylinder 8 it filled and hydro locked the motor replaced injector with one from wrecking yard installed it and it stoped flooding cylinder 8 witch means it fixed far as the injector in concerned so now the no start continues but question is ! Why would. It not start ? When the original injector worked and car started the original had a intermitant problem which is why I replaced it and caused the flood hydro lock with the original now the car won't start with the replacmet that's the weird thing about it only changed out the one injector and now car won't start other than that it ran fine !!! With intermittent problem injector flooding the cylinder before it hydro locked ???

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now I have valve covers off checking everything again about to do compression check just had tool delivers to do that driving me nuts I've been all over this motor run fine one day not the next over a injector that's too much so basically heres the deal finished all work car was fine started ! And ran went home for the day came back inext morn to get car started and the dam thing ran for sec them hydrolocked cause of injector replaced it now no start

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I have 180 compression in all cylinders notice copper wire showing just a tiny spot on injector 8 gunna retape with electrical tape not sure if that's why but if not what else could it be ? ????? Last thing to check is wiring harnessist of the plugs and wiring look pretty good so that kinda a long shot to me for no start anyhow I've checked and checked again can anyone Chime in on anything I mean anything that might be over looking

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last question if there is a wiring problem or plug not spark plug but electrical connector issue wheres a good place to start lookin that i can test that would keep the car from running and like i said before timing is good compression is good distributior is good spark plugs good injectors good , sensors good iam at a lost HELP !!!!!!! Lol holy moly donut shop ! Geez mind warp on this how
much checking and dismantling and days to get this figured out not only that i have a machanic with 30 years experience working side by side with me on this and he has no idea iether which is frustrating in itself so help please !!!!

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,303 Posts
Wait a minute. In post #9 you said it was hydrolocked. IF it hydrolocked while setting overnight, did you get the fuel out of the offending cylinder to clear the hydrolock?
If it hydrolocked while running, you may have more damage.
Does it even crank?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes it cranks over and sounds like it wants to start anyhow i got a call and text from my friend and mexhanic at 3am telling me he got it running i dknt know how havent spoke with him yet i think it picked his brain so much that it bothered him not to know so
he did a all nighter figuring it out i will post back in few hours and tell how curious minds would like to know including myself
thanks everyone once again

----------

Sorry ranger ive double checked so much i think i confusing everone and geting lost in this myself about this engine well
hopefully my good friend and mechanic got it worked out from what take from a text at 3am iam sure he was at home and went
back to shop cause it bothered him to figure it out ya know sitting there scratching head like what the hell could it be after so many process of elemanations checks geez !

·
19,998 Posts
Yes it cranks over and sounds like it wants to start anyhow i got a call and text from my friend and mexhanic at 3am telling me he got it running i dknt know how havent spoke with him yet i think it picked his brain so much that it bothered him not to know so
he did a all nighter figuring it out i will post back in few hours and tell how curious minds would like to know including myself
thanks everyone once again

----------

Sorry ranger ive double checked so much i think i confusing everone and geting lost in this myself about this engine well
hopefully my good friend and mechanic got it worked out from what take from a text at 3am iam sure he was at home and went
back to shop cause it bothered him to figure it out ya know sitting there scratching head like what the hell could it be after so many process of elemanations checks geez !
=========================
I have two words for you -

spellcheck and punctuation -

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello all again and for the comedians in the forum who cares about spell check and punctuation! This is not an essay ! Iam trying to gain some insite on mechanical issues with a vehicle! Is that ok with everyone ! Now to the point at hand i had my car
returned to me running but poorly, well lol thats for you mr. Punctuation it runs ok and strong its just the idle is off just slightly
i dont think its the timming we set that at about or just below 800 rpms now it jumps to about 1000 or 1100 and stays there i just put a new iac and made sure that was set correctly. I took the car to another shop not a buddies shop this time i have no temp
read on the digi dash so that means somethings not plugged in for there to be no read ? Obviously but would this cause a rough
idle ?? And fluctuations in rpms ive heard of few problems that this may cause but not totally sure on what exactly. I no longer
have my friend the mechanic with a shop that i did pay over 2 grand to redue the bad head gasket but upon putting the car back
together again correctly its been nothing but trouble! its not my once black shiny stallion its shiny and black but not galloping
like before ! Anyhow engine still is strong wants to pull but idles off and wanting to cutt off at stop lights from time to time
froM my previous post the prob from the no start was he did something to or with the distributor well any comments on what or how or maybe's would be appreciated! please no stupid jokes i already have hypertension about this crap and my car not up to par and getting had by a good friend the sh....t just not funny anymore sucks when you trust a close friend and payout lots of
Cash and time with no results heres the funny part i rather be back at square one with the bad head gasket prob and took the car
to a none friend shop ! 1992 Cadillac Seville STS 4.9L! ! thanks everyone! I feel as he forgot how to put the car back together and didnt put thigs in the right place just plane odd knowing car had never had a problem in 10 years of having the beast except head gasket not one !! GreaT maintenance and performance oh and we dont talk anymore just in case someone messing up my car
was the end of the friendship

·
19,998 Posts
Hello all again and for the comedians in the forum who cares about spell check and punctuation! This is not an essay ! Iam trying to gain some insite on mechanical issues with a vehicle! Is that ok with everyone ! Now to the point at hand i had my car
returned to me running but poorly, well lol thats for you mr. Punctuation it runs ok and strong its just the idle is off just slightly
i dont think its the timming we set that at about or just below 800 rpms now it jumps to about 1000 or 1100 and stays there i just put a new iac and made sure that was set correctly. I took the car to another shop not a buddies shop this time i have no temp
read on the digi dash so that means somethings not plugged in for there to be no read ? Obviously but would this cause a rough
idle ?? And fluctuations in rpms ive heard of few problems that this may cause but not totally sure on what exactly. I no longer
have my friend the mechanic with a shop that i did pay over 2 grand to redue the bad head gasket but upon putting the car back
together again correctly its been nothing but trouble! its not my once black shiny stallion its shiny and black but not galloping
like before ! Anyhow engine still is strong wants to pull but idles off and wanting to cutt off at stop lights from time to time
froM my previous post the prob from the no start was he did something to or with the distributor well any comments on what or how or maybe's would be appreciated! please no stupid jokes i already have hypertension about this crap and my car not up to par and getting had by a good friend the sh....t just not funny anymore sucks when you trust a close friend and payout lots of
Cash and time with no results heres the funny part i rather be back at square one with the bad head gasket prob and took the car
to a none friend shop ! 1992 Cadillac Seville STS 4.9L! ! thanks everyone! I feel as he forgot how to put the car back together and didnt put thigs in the right place just plane odd knowing car had never had a problem in 10 years of having the beast except head gasket not one !! GreaT maintenance and performance oh and we dont talk anymore just in case someone messing up my car
was the end of the friendship
==========================
Hello all again and for the comedians in the forum who cares about spell check and punctuation!
This is not an essay !

hey - I was only trying to help YOU get your thoughts across
to other readers - in an easier to read format -

sorry I wasted my time - won't happen again -

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,303 Posts
What you fail to understand, is that unpunctuated long run on sentences are rather hard to read and many people will get frustrated or irritated and simply won't bother. Proper grammar is nothing more than a courtesy to those who you want to read it.

It is very hard to try to diagnose a problem over the internet, but after a motor has been taken apart and put back together again, it's even harder. You basically have to go over everything that was done to it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have two words for you -

spellcheck and punctuation -

----------

Sounds like smart a.sss remark or comment rather than help ! You know theres another way to let someone know that
what i wrote was tough to understand without proper grammer ! Like hey dude sorry i cant read ! With or with out
proper grammar or please rewrite so we can understand your quick jotting, Anyhow really all you had to do is just simply ask to
rewrite to understand better . I would of did so gladly i have no time for forum games ! and internet comedians , We both know
you were trying to be funny about it ! So dont bs me on that ! Well hey next time i'll make sure i correctly write my Q and A for
others to understand ! I'll let you in on a little secret sometimes if you dont like something , its better to say nothing rather than
start something you didnt want nor like in the first place ! Just my opinion ! i wonder how much crap has been started like this
just becouse someone felt the need to opinionate when they didnt like or care in the first place ! Thanks for the help ?

----------

Ranger i get it ! Its common courtesy ! i was just quick jotting i apologize for that but i dont take any crap from smart a..ss
people who think there correct in asking or commenting ! Its how u ask to get what you want !! I see you tryed to convey that to me with out the smart a....... sssssnesss thats the difference! !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts