Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Seville STS
1 Posts
Today I'm at drive thru and all of a sudden front defroster kicks on followed by
check engine soon light. When I bought 3 days ago I had oil changed and they
tried to reset change oil display and couldn't. I checked codes and the following
were listed as current. Also once I turned off vehicle and restarted defroster turned off and so did check engine soon but returned right away.

I039 loss of road sensing suspension data
A048 low refrigerant pressure
R024 initiator circuit voltage low
R034 dual pole arming sensor ignition feed open
R071 internal diagnostic energy reserve
Pcm? Also displayed

Lastly engine has a strong smell to it too.

Thanks for any help. I'm new here seeing as I just bought car:p

Today I'm at drive thru and all of a sudden front defroster kicks on followed by
check engine soon light. When I bought 3 days ago I had oil changed and they
tried to reset change oil display and couldn't. I checked codes and the following
were listed as current. Also once I turned off vehicle and restarted defroster turned off and so did check engine soon but returned right away.

I039 loss of road sensing suspension data
R024 initiator circuit voltage low
R034 dual pole arming sensor ignition feed open
R071 internal diagnostic energy reserve
Pcm? Also displayed

Thanks for any help. I'm new here seeing as I just bought car and appreciate all direction and help. I posted this in older model forum but I think it might be a ghost town.

Thank you.

Thread moved from incorrect forum and merged.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
Re: 1992 STS bought $800- 200,000 miles 3 days ago then today.this happened.please he

That Seville STS is very, very different from the 05+ STS.
Hopefully the older forum will have some tips for you, however it was an $800 Caddy from 23 years ago with 200k miles on it so you should expect it to have some issues.

Seeing low voltage in that list you may want to consider making sure you have a good battery.

·
Registered
1992 Seville
323 Posts
Re: 1992 STS bought $800- 200,000 miles 3 days ago then today......

When the defroster kicks in do you see dashes in the climate control panel?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
Re: 1992 STS bought $800- 200,000 miles 3 days ago then today......

Today I'm at drive thru
and all of a sudden front defroster kicks on

when the freon is low -
the climate control system is shut down -

the pressure might be right at the point of working/not working -

------------------

skunk?
gas?
oil?
burnt rubber?
coolant?
fish?
dead rodent?

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
Re: 1992 STS bought $800- 200,000 miles 3 days ago then today.this happened.please he

What Luda' failed to come right out & state, you need to post in the right forum. You bought a Seville & odds are the HVAC & ECM will be the least of your worries. With over 200k miles, if the big trouble is head gaskets, I don't know if it's going to be worth fixing.

'Course I could be wrong. My wife traded right from a '98 Seville w' STS trim with numerous expensive issues (including HG) to her 2007 STS in 2008.

Good luck!

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
EChas3 said:
What Luda' failed to come right out & state, you need to post in the right forum. You bought a Seville & odds are the HVAC & ECM will be the least of your worries. With over 200k miles, if the big trouble is head gaskets, I don't know if it's going to be worth fixing. 'Course I could be wrong. My wife traded right from a '98 Seville w' STS trim with numerous expensive issues (including HG) to her 2007 STS in 2008. Good luck!
92 STS is the only year of that platform NOT to use the northstar. They got the 4.9 only. 93 (or late 92 in the Allante testers) were the 1st year for the northstar engine.

K

·
0 Posts

92 STS is the only year of that platform NOT to use the northstar. They got the 4.9 only. 93 (or late 92 in the Allante testers) were the 1st year for the northstar engine.
That is correct. I had one. Still had HG problems. Bought it used when it was seven years old and drove it for ten years. Got rid of it when I couldn't stand the overheating issues anymore. Never did fix the HG.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts

$800 hoopty has problems. What's new?

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts

I wasn't sure, even after doing some checking... It still reminded me of a HG issue.

Even 30 years ago, a car under $1G that started & drove would usually sell. Today, it's no surprise if it needs a junkyard motor.

I thought I saw 'book' at $3,500 in good condition. There's a great one out there with full original paperwork, 50,000 on the odometer, etc. for someone 'in love'!

·
Registered
Cadillac STS
1,213 Posts

I am not sure I would buy any car that old that wasn't Japanese

Warren

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,507 Posts
Because older Hondas are known for their great transmissions and rust protection...
Same for Datsun. They were all sooooo bad that the parent company, Nissan Motors, dropped the brand name. A Datsun would rust out in ONE winter in the DC area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts