Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Deville Sedan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,
I just bought my first Cadillac this morning and I'm already seeming to have some issues. This site really looks like a resource for alot of ya'll, so I'd appreciate any help you guys got.
The front drivers side wheel gets really hot, almost feels like the brakes are on (ie. car doesn't coast in drive with foot off gas). whenever I drive and/or brake for 20 some miles it smokes white smoke. Multiple people now have suggested it is buildup and fluid seeped between the caliper and the pad, but I suspect it could be an engine issue at this point.
However, it seemed like the engine started cutting out on me when it reached a certain temperature (or opening the cooling valve 100%). Does the 92 deville have a feature to cut out when the engine gets too hot? Anybody seen this happen before. The dealer I bought it from is cooperating at least and said they'd take a look Monday. Happy Easter Everyone.

·
Registered
1990 Fleetwood
106 Posts
Happy Easter. I'm not sure I would drive the car to the dealer. Do you have an auto club or access to a trailer/dolly/flatbed? It would really stink to wreck or burn your new car. Not to mention, the expense of new parts. Sounds like the caliper is stuck.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
:yeah: brake system is overheating due to the stuck caliper. It is always engaged and slowly stopping the car when there is no gas pedal input.

·
Registered
1992 Deville Sedan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to All! I don't have access to a dolly or auto club, but will probably take it to my mechanic about a mile away. From what I understand a stuck caliper is an easy/cheap fix so this is good news.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
:yeah: brake system is overheating due to the stuck caliper. It is always engaged and slowly stopping the car when there is no gas pedal input.
The only time they are engaged is when you press the brake pedal. Anything else is normal drag, unless there is something wrong with the caliper or brake hose.

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
The only time they are engaged is when you press the brake pedal. Anything else is normal drag, unless there is something wrong with the caliper or brake hose.
I was trying to say that it is always engaged now because the caliper is stuck. I see it could lead to misunderstanding. Thanks for correction.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,120 Posts
I would agree. Most likely a dried or rusted caliper slide pin causing the caliper to hang up and burn the brake pads.

·
Registered
1990 Fleetwood
106 Posts
have your mech check the hoses as well. Like brougham said, a bad hose can keep brake fluid from bleeding off. If he already has the brake system opened up, new flex hoses are never a bad idea on an older car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts