Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Deville
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I just acquired a 1992 Sedan Deville. It has 152000 on the clock and is the base model.
I've never owned a Cadillac before and I picked this up for very little money as my work/around town vehicle.
It needs some attention so I have been doing a few things to it.
At 152000 miles the suspension has never been touched so I did struts all the way around.
I put the fronts on and I have a problem. I haven't taken it to an alignment shop yet but the camber is terrible.
The front tires sit with the tops a good 1-2 INCHES out. It looks like the way it might sit with no engine in it.
I don't know if these cars have camber adjustments or how much but this just doesn't seem right.
I've done struts on other vehicles and never had this happen. I compared the originals with the new ones and everything was the same length.
I thought maybe I got the left on the right and vice versa but I don't think they are side specific on front struts.
Thanks for any suggestions and help.

IMG_20200717_154547_01 by Firebird2, on Flickr

Dave

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,978 Posts
Hi all,

This is my first post here. I just acquired a 1992 Sedan Deville. It has 152000 on the clock and is the base model.
I've never owned a Cadillac before and I picked this up for very little money as my work/around town vehicle.
It needs some attention so I have been doing a few things to it.
At 152000 miles the suspension has never been touched so I did struts all the way around.
I put the fronts on and I have a problem. I haven't taken it to an alignment shop yet but the camber is terrible.
The front tires sit with the tops a good 1-2 INCHES out. It looks like the way it might sit with no engine in it.
I don't know if these cars have camber adjustments or how much but this just doesn't seem right.
I've done struts on other vehicles and never had this happen. I compared the originals with the new ones and everything was the same length.
I thought maybe I got the left on the right and vice versa but I don't think they are side specific on front struts.
Thanks for any suggestions and help.

IMG_20200717_154547_01 by Firebird2, on Flickr

Dave
======================
what brand front struts did you buy?

MONROE struts DO offer some adjustment -
the BOTTOM mounting hole is elongated -

·
Registered
92 Deville
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did get Monroe loaded struts. I'll have to look at them again. Maybe I just didn't notice that they do have elongated holes and I just put them in at the farthest adjustment.

·
Registered
92 Deville
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's a quick update.
I was able to get the camber to +7 degrees. While that is still out of spec of course I believe that the alignment shop can straighten that out. At least I can drive it to the shop now.
The Monroe struts do have elongated bottom holes in the strut I just didn't notice it.
Also, I didn't think about it until I got home and looked at the old struts. Some of the rubber isolator at the top of the strut bearing that fits against the bottom of the strut tower had stuck to the body. So when i installed the new strut it basically doubled the amount of rubber under the strut tower.
I got all that cleaned off and was able to get the car at least driveable to the alignment shop.
Thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts