Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a new-to-me well-preserved 92 ETC with 23k miles. Only went 1k miles since 2008. On the test drive, noticed lumpy idle. Hauled it home and changed all fluids and filters except fuel filter, due to running a can of BG fuel system cleaner for about 150 miles and running out close to all of the 1/3 tank of whatever gas was in it. The check engine light came on during this time and has stayed on. Doesn't feel any worse than when I test drove it originally. Have not read through the DTC manual for checking the diagnostics yet. Runs fine on the highway, fine cruising, fine under part or full load. Where it is at its worst, again, is idle, and very light feathering of the throttle, and backing off the throttle after moderate-hard acceleration. I can see (just barely) the tach jumping a little, maybe 50-100 rpm changes, and I can see the exhaust jumping around noticeable along with the sound of the exhaust burbling erratically. Filled up with 91 non-ethanol and drive it about 10 miles, so far the same. This is a similar characteristic to another car of mine that had with a bad 02 sensor - fine under load, not at feathered throttle (no idle issues on the other car, though).

Cap/rotor/plugs/wires all look original, as I'm sure 95% of what is in this car is original just due to the low mileage. Before I go replacing every ignition component and before I go through the morse code of the pre-obd2 system, does anybody have any "95% suspects?" Again extreme low mileage, well-preserved car that was stored for 10 years from 08-18.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To add: Have a code for E046, which basically tells me what I already knew without helping me. Before we go replacing parts, on a pristine, 23k mile example that went 1,000 miles in the last 11 years, with I think 10 of those having sat in a garage, spending its life in a VA mountain temperate climate, with the oil pan gasket and another gasket (I already forgot, need to check my notes on what we did) dripping oil very badly upon purchase, and with 2 radiator hoses looking dry rotted, what is the pecking order of culprits to start with, else a very proper PD/diag procedure?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boy, I tell ya, welcome to the forums. All silence in here. If I ask a question in the Mercedes forums, I have replies in minutes. No love here for a guy who worked at the Caddy dealership in college, with a top 5% 89 Allante with 46k and full documentation and a top 1% 92 Eldo museum piece.

Anyway, to be constructive and contribute to the knowledge base, 3 days and a few dollars later we figured out one o2 sensor was physically broken, and the other one suspect. Looks like 2 injectors were replaced at some point - probably leaks that caused it to run rich and take down the o2 sensor(s).

No longer running rich, no check engine light.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,043 Posts
Has nothing - nothing - to do with "love'.

Maybe no one in this Engines forum has had/resolved your problems and/or has no experience with your 29 year old car/engine. Hang in there - results will come.

Here's a hint: the older engine forums are pretty quiet - few go here. Post a new thread on your original troubles up in the Seville/Eldorado forum. You'll have advice in less than 2 hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts