Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just goin to town with these posts, but if you guys don't mind helping an automotive rookie I greatly appreciate it. Now as for the question: I would like to get a new head unit for my 1992 Sedan DeVille, preferably good quality, CD player and AUX input. If I do this: 1) what would be the best to get (yet still under $150) 2) what kind of specs should I look for to be compatible with my OEM Delco speakers? 3) am I going to have to spend a small fortune replacing my OEM speakers?? Now this is an idea I'm tossing around at the moment, I plan to use the $150 to get myself a full GM service Manual for the car first, then I'll get the head unit when I save up enough. So I'm hoping theres someone out there with experience and success in completeing this feat. I would greatly appreciate some advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I can tell you what I did and what I know. I installed a Sony CDX-F5510 head unit. Its a decent unit that does just about everthing you want like mp3/xmready/cd changer controls/amp outputs/aux inputs. With the custom installation kit it looks real good too. I think it was about $180 and $20 for the install kit.

Just about any new head unit will power your current speakers its wether your speakers are still good or not. I put new polk audio 6x9 in the rear which put out a lot of bass but im still looking at puting a subwoofer in. The polks are a little more expensive speakers they were $150 for the pair. The front speakers are a different story. there are two woofers in the doors and two tweeters in the dash and you cant replace them with regular 3-way speakers cause one head unit cannot run 6 speakers without being run through an amp. So you need to go with a component system that splits the speakers into two speakers like they did from the factory. I am still running my factory speakers and they still sound good but start to distort if i turn it up too loud.

Anyway I'm no audiophile and don't know too much about this stuff either but thats what I did. Oh and if your not planning on doing it yourself plan on paying for installation. As long as your mechanicly inclined you can do it yourself.

Go check out the audio/video forum in this site and do some homework and check out prices at different stores and learn how to do it yourself. Also check out crutchfield.com.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts