Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tonight, I'm took the TPS sensor off of the throttle body, to replace the incorrect BOLT used by the previous owner, with the 2 correct screws I got off a TB at a junkyard. Only to find out that now the correct screws won't screw into the TB b/c the BOLT screwed up the thread.
What to I do now? Should I get a set of smaller screws and screw them in and locktite it hoping the TPS sensor won't move or buy a whole new Throttle Body. If I should get a new one where do i need to look at?

I found this one on Ebay but it's off of a 1990 but I think it should fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Thro...s?hash=item3349123bca&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,547 Posts
I would get a tap of the correct size and chase the threads. You can probably clean them up and get it to work.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The TPSensor is connected to the throttle body w/ 2 screws. Are these screws supposed to be very tight to keep the TPS from moving? Or is the TPS supposed to move along side the throttle body?
Edit/Delete Message

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
TPS housing Should be tight- not moving once it is adjusted correctly. only the core that seats the throttle plate will rotate as the plate opens up on acceleration. don't try to glue the thread with locktight- it will just make matters worse.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the TPSensor is connected to the throttle body w/ 2 screws. Are these screws supposed to be very tight to keep the TPS from moving? Or is the TPS supposed to move along side the throttle body when you accelerate/decelerate?

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what I need to do is, start the screws into the TB, then adjust the TPS along the TB to the correct setting, once it is at the correct setting, tighten the screws to keep the TPS at that position?

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I would get a tap of the correct size and chase the threads. You can probably clean them up and get it to work.
This is the correct way to fix it. If the correct tap won't work or if the threads are just too messed up, I would use sheet metal screw.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
Al, have you done this? I'd sure be squeamish about using sheet metal screws on that. :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts