Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville (FWD, 4.9L)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1992 Cadillac Sedan Deville (4.9L, FWD). Recently, I have been having issues with it. The service engine light and service vehicle light randomly come on and off. When they come on, my speedometer displays nothing but "0" and I have issues accelerating. The acceleration issue seems like a brake is constantly held down or that I'm in a lower gear than I need to be in. I am not sure if the acceleration problem is actually either of those, but that is what it feels like to me. As I'm driving, those lights will switch back off after awhile and my vehicle drives fine, but never for long before the lights come back on. I have taken it to a few shops, but no one seems to have the right OBD-I chip to scan it. Any help or information on what may be wrong would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,544 Posts
:welcome:

Start by pulling the DTC's. See the DTC Sticky at the top of the forum page if you need help. Be sure to post the code AND it's definition.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,006 Posts
I believe that your car has its own built-in DTC scanner/memory. Go to the main Deville threads page and open the sticky thread titled "How to pull codes". Practice, write down any found codes. Return to the sticky to open the link to definitions of OBD1 codes. Post your findings and definitions here.

Welcome to the Funny Farm !!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The code it displayed was "F32". It then displayed "7.0" after the code

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
591 Posts
This is not your problem. F32, I believe, was a communication problem between the FDC and BCM. Does your FDC go blank or show a "c" or "d"?

I would suggest you clear that code, and drive it until the said problem occurs and pull the codes while it's in effect. You'll see the code preceded by a "EE" or "FF" (because it'll be current).

·
Registered
1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
1,540 Posts
The code it displayed was "F32". It then displayed "7.0" after the code
That's not right.
http://z-cut.de/US/dtcobd1.html
HOW TO "ENTER" DIAGNOSTIC MODE

To enter diagnostic mode, proceed as follows:
1.Turn ignition "ON." Engine can be either OFF or RUNNING.
2.Depress the "OFF" and "WARMER" buttons on the Climate Control Center (CCC) simultaneously and hold until the segment check appears on the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC).

After entering On-Board Diagnostics, a segment check is automatically performed and then any trouble code stored in computer memory will be displayed. Codes may be stored for the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), Air Conditioning Programer (ACP), Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) Traction Control System (TCS) or Road Sensing Suspension (RSS) systems.

HOW TO "EXIT" DIAGNOSTIC MODE

To get out of the diagnostic mode anytime during the test, depress the "AUTO" or "DEFOG" button, or turn the ignition switch "OFF." Trouble codes are not erased if this is done prior to selecting "CODES CLEARED."

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Here's the code listing for old Cadillac OBDI

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/ht4100-4-1-4-5-4/21558-obd-i-codes-4-x-engines.html

F32 means body computer has lost communication with the engine computer. Dashboard is run by the body computer (mostly) so that explains why the SELs are lighting up and the speedo goes to zero. If the ECM is truly failing then that could explain some of the other issues as well, things like injector width and timing advance are controlled by the ECM so if those fail the car will run in stupid mode.

Sounds like engine computer is failing or you are losing connection at the wire terminal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O wow. This doesn't seem good. Here are all of the codes that appeared. E12, E23, E41, E52, E53, E73, E91, E97, E98, then F32. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Do you have the FSM? It will tell you how to find your ECM. I would dig it out and sniff it, if it smells like burnt electronics its toast

E12 - No Distributor Signal
E23 - EST Signal Problem
E41 - Cam Sensor Signal Problem
E52 - PCM Memory Reset (See Note)
E53 - Distributor Signal Interrupt
E73 - Intermittent Coolant Temp. Sensor Signal
E91 - PRNDL Switch Problem
E97 - P/N to D/R at High Throttle Angle
E98 - High RPM P/N to D/R in ISC Range

Looks like one cause multiple effect syndrome

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Some of the problems listed like distributor signal can cause your running problem. Usually E97 E98 are caused by moving out of park with high idle. But if there is some sort of communications problem between the different modules that will also cause all sorts of problems and ghost codes. That seems more the problem since you said it drives fine when the dash is all working properly. It could be as simple as a loose plug at the module or a bad ground or broken wire.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
With that many codes at once I would check the battery connections and grounds and battery voltage and charging voltage to be sure that is all functioning as it should. Then i would clear the codes and see how many come back. BCM problems are common on these cars too so expect to buy one someday sooner or later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 1992 Cadillac Sedan Deville (4.9L, FWD). Recently, I have been having issues with it. The service engine light and service vehicle light randomly come on and off. When they come on, my speedometer displays nothing but "0" and I have issues accelerating. The acceleration issue seems like a brake is constantly held down or that I'm in a lower gear than I need to be in. I am not sure if the acceleration problem is actually either of those, but that is what it feels like to me. As I'm driving, those lights will switch back off after awhile and my vehicle drives fine, but never for long before the lights come back on. I have taken it to a few shops, but no one seems to have the right OBD-I chip to scan it. Any help or information on what may be wrong would be much appreciated.
Mine does the same thing but also my speedometer goes crazy and power lags then tries to kick in again.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
841 Posts
Welcome aboard Andrew. I guess nobody wants to jump into a 6 year old thread. Your best bet is to check for codes with the link below. If you have any, you can start your own thread and describe your problem in a little more detail and post your codes along with their definitions. Then everybody will jump in with lots of helpful info.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,431 Posts
Andrew, good advice from cadillac_al2. Good idea to check the dates on a thread. Also, you can hover over a users avatar and see when they last logged on. Sloth859 hasn't been on in five years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts