Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am totally stumped by this... I parked my 1991 Sixty Special (Fleetwood) two years ago and when I went to move it recently, I couldn't move the shift lever. So asked people for their two bits and pretty much everyone said to look at the brake interlock switch. So yesterday I removed the switched and I know its working because when I manually manipulate it, the brake lights work but the lever was still stuck. I got so frustrated with it that I just yanked on the lever until I obviously broke something cause now the lever moves but it doesn't actually change the gears.

So it wasn' t the interlock switch and I've made it worse now that I've obviously broken something inside the column. And I tried moving the gear by pushing on the part from under the hood but now even that seems to be seized.

Don't know what to do. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
I am totally stumped by this... I parked my 1991 Sixty Special (Fleetwood) two years ago and when I went to move it recently, I couldn't move the shift lever. So asked people for their two bits and pretty much everyone said to look at the brake interlock switch. So yesterday I removed the switched and I know its working because when I manually manipulate it, the brake lights work but the lever was still stuck. I got so frustrated with it that I just yanked on the lever until I obviously broke something cause now the lever moves but it doesn't actually change the gears.

So it wasn' t the interlock switch and I've made it worse now that I've obviously broken something inside the column. And I tried moving the gear by pushing on the part from under the hood but now even that seems to be seized.

Don't know what to do. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
=========================
before you go out and get a bigger hammer - or pry-bar -

I would suggest obtaining the FSM - Factory Service Manual -
here is one for $32 - with free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1991-Cadillac-Deville-Fleetwood-Service-Manual-LIKE-NEW-MINT-FREE-Shipping-OEM-/380447317920?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58946d5fa0

you - and the car - will probably benefit immediately -
compared to your current method of diagnosis and repair

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
The only thing you can do now is some exploratory surgery to see exactly what you broke. A FSM or subscription to www.alldatadiy.com would be highly recommended.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
591 Posts
You probably broke the shifter cable, the one that connects to the transmission.

I have a question. Is the car parked on a slope? I've noticed it many times that if I park on a forward incline it's hard to shift out of park. So, I have the habit now to set the parking brake before I shift into park in such situations.
I have heard that in extreme cases of parking on such inclines cars will have to be pushed up the hill by another vehicle or something, before they're able to shift out of park. I'm not sure, but I believe there was something about it in the owner's manual.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Good thought. It's called torque lock and you should ALWAYS set the brake before shifting into park on an incline to prevent that.

·
Registered
1994 SLS x 2 ---- 1993 Eldorado Sport ----- 1994 Deville 4.9
1,540 Posts
Block the wheels forward and reverse.
Go to the top of transmission and pull the shift cable off and try to manually select the gears.
I am guessing the cable is froze and then you broke it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your input. The car was always parked on level ground so don't think it has anything to do with the torque lock. I actually have an FSM so I will check in there. The car has been parked for the past 5 years with dampness inside courtesy of a blocked sunroof drain so I'm wondering if the cable got seized on this inside of the car from just sitting with all that moisture inside.

Anyone wanna buy an otherwise nice 1991 Sixty Special for a grand? Seriously, one grand and it's your.

----------

These pictures were taken 4 years ago:

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/4903514531.html

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really you post 4 year old pictures and think anyone is even going to consider it?

Did I forget to mention that the car has been in storage for the past ten years and yes it starts and runs, and idles flawlessly.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Funny you said parked 2 years ago then 5 years in storage now ten. Question how did sunroof not drain if parked for last 10 years inside? Not ragging on you but old pics don't cut it. A number one way to get screwed whe buying a car is relying on old pics.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Beyond that, years in storage is bad news anyway, ESPECIALLY with a moisture issue.

Too bad, it was a very nice car in the pictures.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First off, I purchased the car ten years ago. I drove it for approximately 300 km with the existing insurance I was able to transfer. It had approximately 157,000 km when I bought it and it still only has only 157,323 km today. You can check out my old posts from when I first logged onto this site and confirm this. I have had several conversations with Sandy about this car over the years.

I know in our current climate not many people have much respect for what I do but as a police officer, my integrity remains intact and am not trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes. Furthermore, I never said it was stored inside. It was always parked outdoors with a tarp on it. I appreciate the fact that everyone has an opinion and that's fair but honestly you would think I was asking $10,000 dollars for her based on some of the responses.

The car today is not that much different from the pictures posted on Craigslist and when I have time I will take new ones but not an easy task to do considering I can't shift out of park. If I had the room I would keep her just for the parts as I do have a 1992 Sixty Special that is in mint condition which I will never sell. However, that is just not reality as I am selling my house and have to give up the driveway. Anyways, it is what it is and if I don't sell her I will reluctantly have a wrecker come and take her away for scrap value which is a real shame considering the engine runs well and the Sixty Special 22 way seats, without a single tear, are so hard to find these days.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
yeah id take those seats and the oem wheels in a heart beat if you were closer. its always good to have a parts car

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I was wondering, "what could he possibly be driving to park such a beautiful car?" Then I see you have another one. That explains it. It's too far away for most of us but I'll bet if you listed it somewhere in your area somebody should buy it for a grand.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts