Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've only been 'working on' my car for about 3 months now doing small inexpensive fixes after noticing that my car was running kinda rough.So far I personnally have: changed the spark plugs,replaced a pulley,replaced the alternator,put in a new fuel filter,air filter and like 'topped off' the radiator fluid [ remember,I'm new,lol] anyways, I am using a 'Haynes" book to kinda help me figure out,and do this stuff.My car seems to have a little more 'pickup' now when I first step on the gas but it seems to stay in 1st gear too long and if i am stopped at a light lets say,its very noisily idling and sounds kinda rough.Under 'Troubleshooting' in the Haynes theres a number of things it lists under topics such as: 1]engine lopes while idling or idles erratically 2]engine misses at idle speed 3]engine misses throughout driving speed range 4]engine stumbles on acceleration 5]engine surges while holding accelerator steady and 6]engine lacks power. It seems to me that these are all very similar and that my car seems to kinda do them all.Can somebody maybe that has had these things occur with them help me figure out what I need to do next so that I'm not going out and buying a 'timing light' that I don't need or wasting my time on the 'idling speed', both of which are some of the fixes to the troubleshooting.Thank you for any help in the right direction.

xsarkophagosx

p.s. I only replaced one of the pulleys because an acquaintance of mine suggested that after thinking that the 'noise' and the shaking of the engine were being caused by a bad pulley.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
Well. Have you checked your FPR?
If your FPR is good then you should find out what cylenders are not firing. You can do this by disconnecting spark plug wires while the engine is running. Disconnect them one by one, plugging them back in before you move on to the next one. When you do this you are looking for the one(s) that has the LEAST effect on how the engine is idling. Once you find the one that is not firing then pull the spark plug out of it to inspect it. If it is covered with gas then it's a spark problem. Since you changed the plugs and wires already, it could be the distributor and rotor or coils (I'm not sure which the 4.9 has). If the spark plug is completely dry then that suggests a fuel problem, maybe a sticky injector.

Hope this helps.

Also :welcome: :wave:

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Beg, borrow or steal a fuel pressure gauge. maybe you have a bad fuel pump. The FPR is a no-cost visual check in the meantime.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Geezz!! Thanx you guys for answering back so quickly. I really want to get this taken care of so now I have time to check it today.

Thanks again..

xsarkophagosx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts