Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1991 sedandeville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum to get information on keeping my parents old caddy going for them.

A couple years ago my parents had that problem of the blower module failing on them and then not being
able to turn the fan off even with the keys out of the ignition. Luckily it was summer time, and after running a couple
months with the fuse out I was able to get a used module at the junkyard for them, $20. But I found out from mum that the heater wouldn't heat up the car very well. I looked at things and everything seemed to be sort of functioning as I figured it should and that maybe it was something to do with all the electronics on these cars. I spent a day trying to solve the problem, but no luck, and my mum only used the car occasionally so I didn't pursue it.
So two years later, Dad is gone, and I've moved back to look after mum who can't drive anymore. She is stiffening up with arthritus, so likes to have the big Cadillac because it is easier for her to get in and out of.

A month ago the blower module went again. Luck was on my side and the junkyard had another for $40. Put that in and hoped it might have some affect on the heat problem, that maybe the electronics were more intact than the last used one.
No difference. So today I've been searching all the internet posts about this problem and found it very frustating since I have the same problem as a number of others, namely,..."some heat out of the passenger defrost and none on the driver's side" and "Little to no heat out of the lower vents"
So after more fiddle farting and #&%$^# trying to get my hands into all these tight places under the dash and engine compartment I finally tried flushing the heater core.

Thats all the system seemed to need!!! Eureka!!! It just spit out a bit of rusty water and really wasn't plugged in any sense of the word but man what a difference. Happily driving a nice comfy warm dry car after years of damp and cool.

Hope that helps others in the future.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
:welcome:

Another victim of the sealant tabs heard from.

·
Registered
1992 cadillac deville 4.9 L sedan
10 Posts
Wow, ok then ...I"ll keep that in mind , might be what i need to do with my 92 cadillac deville. Gota work out a few other issues to work out first though...thanks:)

·
Registered
1991 touring deville
25 Posts
I also have a 1991 touring sedan deville, and today the heater basically stopped working! Just blowing cold air! Unless im driving and i can tell that its just venting some of engine compartment heat.... All of the vents and blower motor work fine! I was reading about you flushing the heater core and was wondering how you did that? Im open to any and all other suggestion as to what it may be!!! Please feel free to throw me some advice. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Just pull the two heater hoses from the firewall. Connect a garden hose to one and flush the core. Then remove the hose and put it on the other one to reverse flush it. Take note what the exiting water looks like.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
If the core's plugged, one hose to it will be cooler than the other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts