Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1991 Fleetwood
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1991 fleetwood I put larger wheel/tires on. They fit well except for the rear skirts not going back on. Does anyone or has anyone modded the skirts for larger wheels and tires? I was even thinking of changing the rear fenders to a deville if it would work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

· Registered
177 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a bit of an issue with my 92 Sixty Special that related to this topic. The 16 inch Vogue tires are rubbing ever so slightly against the inside of the skirt. Yes I could take the skirt off but she doesn't look good naked. So has anyone dealt with this issue and modified the skirt to fix this issue? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,328 Posts
Either the rim or tire is too wide, or the rim offset is incorrect.

If you can grind away the backside of the skirt where they're rubbing, go ahead. Otherwise, you'll need to get the right rim and/or tire sizes on there.

· Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
22,623 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a bit of an issue with my 92 Sixty Special that related to this topic. The 16 inch Vogue tires are rubbing ever so slightly against the inside of the skirt. Yes I could take the skirt off but she doesn't look good naked. So has anyone dealt with this issue and modified the skirt to fix this issue? Thanks in advance.
=========================
dare I ask
what wheel size/width/offset -
and what size tires you are using -

· Registered
177 Posts
dare I ask
what wheel size/width/offset -
and what size tires you are using -
The Vogues are 225-60-16. Not sure what the offset is but I don't believe the rims are an issue. The rubbing is "just barely" so I guess I will try to grind down the inner handle a bit and see if that works as that appears to be the contact point.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Full-size car Sedan

· Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
What a beautiful car!! I never understood the appeal of vogues but I hope a little mild grinding will solve your rubbing issue. If I ever come across a black beauty like that for sale I won't be able to stop myself from buying it. I'm gonna save your pic anyway; very nice.

· Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,328 Posts
Last gen Eldorado rims, the offset is a bit different than the stock rims. 225's are a bit wider than stock, plus the rims stick out slightly more. That combo works fine on Eldos, Sevilles and Devilles of that era, but not on Fleetwood. Hopefully you can grind it enough.

· Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for your replies. The actual part of the tire that rubs is the extended wall that houses the mustard stripe. If I were to drive it that way eventually the black rubber on either side of the stripe would wear away and I would probably no longer have the rubbing problem but obviously this is not ideal. So I will take a grinder and hammer to the handle on the inside of the skirt and hope for the best. Like I said, the car does not look "right" without the skirts.

Cadillac_al, I'm not a big fan of the Vogues either as far as performance is considered. This is my first set and don't have any experience with them but all the comments say it's a sub par tire. But what I like about the tire is the wide whitewall that is close to the rim and not towards the center of the tire... it just looks better this way. The yellow stripe is a bit much but it seems to work on my car as it has the gold package and pinstripe.

If anyone out there knows of a better tire that has a similar width whitewall and won't cost me an arm and a leg, let me know.

· Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
22,623 Posts
The Vogues are 225-60-16. Not sure what the offset is but I don't believe the rims are an issue. The rubbing is "just barely" so I guess I will try to grind down the inner handle a bit and see if that works as that appears to be the contact point.

View attachment 296393
=============================
you have several things working against you -

the original tire was a 205/70/15 -
those were mounted on a 6" wide wheel -

those Eldo wheels have a different offset -
those wheels are probably substantially wider than 6" -
those tires are almost an inch wider in section width -

you need at least 1/4 inch clearance -
or you WILL pop a tire - or destroy a skirt - or both -

good luck -

· Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
Cadillac_al, I'm not a big fan of the Vogues either as far as performance is considered. This is my first set and don't have any experience with them but all the comments say it's a sub par tire. But what I like about the tire is the wide whitewall that is close to the rim and not towards the center of the tire... it just looks better this way. The yellow stripe is a bit much but it seems to work on my car as it has the gold package and pinstripe.
I read this and I was thinking, "what white walls?" lol. I had to look again because I didn't notice them at first. The whitewall is so close to the wheel it almost blends with the wheel. I won't knock them much because they are unique and they do compliment the gold package very nicely.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.