Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Deville
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the wiper/turn signal stalk on a 1991 Deville? The Column piece is steel and there is no little door you can remove to unplug the wire. I've done them before on 92 & 93's and they had that little plastic door. The only way that I can see is to remove everything right down to that steel Column piece. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Deville
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The only thing left is to remove the Steel Column piece and the wire to the stalk. I have to figure out how to remove the wire coming from the stalk. Enough work for one day, now I"ll just read and learn.

----------

The key is getting the Steel Column piece to come off so I can remove the wire.

·
Registered
91 Deville
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like there is a steel anti-theft collar over the upper steering wheel column. Looks like I will have to take that off. I'm going to try using a pnewmatic cut-oof tool that uses a 3" disk. Will let you know how it works.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Inkredible said:
Looks like there is a steel anti-theft collar over the upper steering wheel column. Looks like I will have to take that off. I'm going to try using a pnewmatic cut-oof tool that uses a 3" disk. Will let you know how it works.
Ah, the wheel of death. Be careful my friend!

·
Registered
91 Deville
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Even bought a full face shield.:)

The cut-off wheel worked great. It took me over an hour but I was in no rush. It was an anti-theft device as I had suspected all along.

Now to put it all back together.

·
Registered
91 Deville
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put it back together up to the clock spring and the low/high beams now work :)But now the directionals don't work :bigroll:

·
Registered
91 Deville
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Figured it out. The directional unit that is held down by three screws wasn't seated properly. Some wires were stopping it from sitting properly. Directionals are working fine now. It's a very tight space and everything has to be just so. Double and Triple check to make sure all wires are routed correctly.
Onto the next project.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts