Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac DeVille 4.9 v8
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning on the way back from dropping my oldest child (5 y/o) off at school and I stopped at a stop light. On coming to a full stop my Inflateable restraint light comes on and stays on. This is the only light staying on on the dashboard. After searching both the sight and google (by the way google actually found stuff on this sight easier than the on site search) I learned that this could be caused by a few different issues. First could be a loose wire which the answer for this problem was wiggling wires. I dont like wiggling wires it can often cause more of a problem than it fixes so as I will likely trace the wire later. Second was a fuse problem which i checked and changed just to be sure and it seems to not be a fuse problem. Third was a clock spring which I learned is located in the steering column but im not sure what this is or where exactly in the column its located. So my questions are ....

1. From what point to what point does the SRS wire run under the dash? to help me in tracing in to check for loose connections or faulty wiring
2. What exactly is a <clock spring> and where in the steering column is it located?
3. Would the SRS light stay on if I went ahead and changed my steering wheel to a wood grain without airbag like I planned on doing anyways? And if so how would I get this light off when I do switch to a non airbag steering wheel?
4. Is there any threat of the airbag deploying with this light on?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and answer any questions you may be able to.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,015 Posts
The first thing you need to do is pull the DTC's, then post the codes AND the code definitions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I must say I am surprised at the list of DTC's considering there is no check engine light on. I am just hoping I have not purchased a piece of junk. Anyways before I get ahead of myself here is what I pulled off the DTC.

E13 - right o2 sensor not ready
E26 - shorted throttle switch
E31 - shorted map sensor
E39 - torque converter clutch/viscious converter clutch engagement problem
E44 - right o2 sensor signal lean
E48 - egr system problem
E52 - PCM memory reset
E53 - distributor signal interupt
E71 - Intermittent map signal
E91 - PRNDL switch problem (transaxle range shift)
E98 - high RPM P/N to D/R shift under ISC

and the inflateable restraint light has gone off .... so the dash is showing no errors but according to the list there are a few. So if anyone can shine some light on this list and where I should start with working out the bugs please let me know. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,015 Posts
None of those codes pertain to the air bag. Pull the codes again when the light is on.

I'm surprised that you did not have an SES light on as well. Almost all of those codes should have illuminated it. Low battery voltage will set all sorts of false codes. How's your voltage?

I'd clear those codes and see what returns. Also note whether they are current or history.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you Ranger I will go through the reset process tomorrow and start logging any returning codes. I am not sure if it is history of current and am not sure right off how to tell. I will look and see how to tell what the difference is now. I havent tested the voltage on the existing battery but i have an optima red top that will be going in when i do the cd player/speakers/amp/sub install but I want to get all the mechanical gremlins out of the way first. The engine seems to be strong so worst case scenerio I end up pulling the engine and rebuilding it this spring and replacing any needed parts then as well as cleaning everything up.

*edit* after reading the post on how to pull DTC's it says the code should be followed by a C or H and I am not seeing either of those letter or options to reset the codes. I will do some more reading and see if I am missing something.

·
Registered
1993 Coupe Deville, 2009 XLR-V 1 of 6 Crystal Red
2,484 Posts
You won't see those letters after the code number on your model year. Just read how to erase codes and go from there. On another note, your energy reserve module is what powers the inflatable restraint. If you were in a crash situation and the car lost power, the inflatable will still work because it gets the power from another source, the ERM. The BCM is what will turn that light on. If you read back on most of the postings, you will find many BCM failures, few PCM failures, many rear strut air leaks, and very few 4.9L engine failures. On occasion you will read about a distributor related problem. A FSM from Helms or ebay is a good investment if you are going to dig deep into your Caddy. And that FSM tells you all about how to disable the inflatable restraint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You won't see those letters after the code number on your model year. Just read how to erase codes and go from there. On another note, your energy reserve module is what powers the inflatable restraint. If you were in a crash situation and the car lost power, the inflatable will still work because it gets the power from another source, the ERM. The BCM is what will turn that light on. If you read back on most of the postings, you will find many BCM failures, few PCM failures, many rear strut air leaks, and very few 4.9L engine failures. On occasion you will read about a distributor related problem. A FSM from Helms or ebay is a good investment if you are going to dig deep into your Caddy. And that FSM tells you all about how to disable the inflatable restraint.

Thank You for the Information and yes I have quite a few helms manuals for various cars since I tend to buy one for every car I buy. I plan on doing the reset here in a few and hopefully this will help me figure out whats going on with this thing. Engine runs smooth and sounds strong and aside from the inflateable restraint light I am pretty sure it has a slow leak at the heater core since I smell coolant in the car.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
Since there are so many codes listed I think you are having a battery connection problem. I would clean the battery terminals and probably that pesky engine ground down by the starter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the long delay I ended up picking up a stomache bug last week and am just now starting to get over it. I might be inclined to agree since I preset a few radio stations on the stock radio and they reset every time I turn the car off. Im gonna go ahead and switch in my optima red top and clean up the connections later today and see if that has any affect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I finally had a good day to tinker with the car. Started by clearing the codes and letting the car idle for 15 minutes. Then I took a short trip around the town and back.

Code display shows
E52 PCM memory reset
E91 PRNDL switch problem
.E.E
E91 PRNDL switch problem

Now my question is what does it mean when it goes .E.E and repeats E91?

On another note I attempted to change out my battery for my Optima red top. Since both batteries had the same cranking amps and cold cranking amps I assumed all would go well. My only concern was that the battery has been disconnected for a couple of weeks but since I had let the previous vehicle it was in sit for a couple of weeks in the past and it still started I figured it would be fine. I got everything hooked up properly and started the car. It started fine but I heard a hum coming from the front of the car shortly after which followed stalling, horrible idle, flashing electronics and finally the car shut off. Now this worried me since I have never seen this happen before and decided to just put the other battery back in and look into the matter later. I was shocked to find that the car would not even turn over. Everything powered up fine and nothing seemed out of place it just would not turn over. I returned to the computer to search for answers where I found nothing directly related to my problem and decided to look for blown fuses which came up empty also. By this time around 15 minutes had passed and i decide to have the wife turn it over while I was checking under the hood. Car started up without a problem as soon as she turned the key over. Im sure there is a good reason for this but I'll be damned if I know what it is other than giving my wife something to laugh at me about.

Well thank you all for taking the time to read this and give me feedback on what I need to address next.:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts