Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought me a nice new used 1991 deville and when i got in it the next morning the battery was dead. the bastard that sold it to me never told me that. so i took the car to a battery place to have it checked the battery is new and working great and the altinator is fine. so i got my trustry meter out and disconnected the neg. post and put her on the amps setting. i got a 1.68A draw from some place. so i started to pull fuses one at a time. nothing. so then i started with the maxi fuses under the hood. third one. 30amp a/c blwr fuse. BINGO i pulled it and the draw was gone back to .025ma draw and thats normal. so the manual says its the electric climate control, or the power module, or the blower control module. so i put the fuse back in and pulled the top plug out of the power module and the draw was gone!!! so heres the question, i also pulled the pin on the blower motor it self and the draw was gone there also. so could it be just the power module? both? or and i doing something wrong. the fuse is out now so the battery wont drain until i fix the problem.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
I would suspect the power module before the blower itself. Its refreshing to finally read a post that is logical in the diagnostics!!!

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
the power module or the blower control module are same thing. only one power module in circuit. there is another box called the Programmer that works off the ECC module temperature selections. but to isolate whether its the power module or the motor itself (or both) FSM recommends unplugging both connectors on the power module and using 20A fused heavy gage wire to jumper PPL wire (pin A) on the 4-way connector to PPL/WHITE (pin B) on the two way connector. This bypasses the 30A fuse and the Power Module to check fan operation direct from the BCM (5V) . The fan should turn but not totally high speed of course. Or just go-for-the-gold and jumper 12 volts right to the purple wire. Fan should spin high speed. If not replace it.

check power module with the fan unplugged and see if the power drain is there with just the module plugged in and the 30A fuse of course.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!!!!! i took a chance and called napa for the part 180 bucks!!! so i went to the local junk yard. if i pulled it the price would be 20 bucks, well i put it in this afternoon and BINGO back to .025ma draw thanks guys for all the help. you really did help me out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts