Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have read on this site, it is not possible to get the codes relating to the ABS system? I even took the car to my local mechanic and he was unable to check the codes. So, only Cadillac is able to read these codes? No special paper clip tricks or climate control diagnostics to read them? Thanks in advance for any info

·
Registered
1998 Deville D'Elegance
133 Posts
91 has a very basic computer setup compared to 96+, the pre 96's use OBD I and I belive any GM dealership (or good local mechanic with the right scan tools) can check for them. I am afriad that's all I can offer as I have no clue about the diagnostic systems on the pre 96's.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
I believe that is correct. When the ABS light came on in my '92 Deville I had no DTC's. FSM said that there was an ABS module under the passenger seat if I recall correctly and any ABS codes had to be pulled from there. I ignored it till the RF bearing started to growl. When I replaced it, the ABS light went out. Apparently the speed sensor failed first.

·
Registered
93 Fleetwood RWD, 99 Deville
1,068 Posts
Cadillac can get the codes for you. It takes a special pinout box to pull them. You can pretty much diagnose it your self. If the light comes on after you start it and before you take off, one of the computer components did not check out. Im meaning in the hydraulic assembly. If the lights dont come on until you take off, then its either a wheel sensor or the pump motor. I have soon oodles of these cars have bad relays. I just helped a guy yesterday on this and his relays were bad. He swapped them out with the radiator fan relays just to find out that the High speed radiator fan relay was bad. He replaced all four relays and everything is working good. Same way with TRU, that is one here. His sixty special was the same way.

Thanks

Blaze

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whats funny is that guy you helped yesterday was me! ABS works like a charm now, and once the weather gets warmer I will not have to worry about overheating. I would have never have thought to look at the relays without Blaze's insight. So, if your ABS light is on.....I would recommend checking those relays first. Its a nice, easy fix. Thanks again to Blaze :worship:

·
Registered
88 Sedan Deville, 89 Eldorado, 11 SRX, 18 CT6
130 Posts
usually you can on most of the cars jump i think its pin H to ground, then turn key to RUN and watch ABS light blink.... then pull wire and put back in for second code, up to seven times, then codes are deleted after driving 18+ or 22+ mph after problem has been fixed and it clears itself... i have a 1990 fleetwood and Factory service manual (teeves abs ) is easy as that to get codes... now if i can just figure out why the ABS light and Brake light light very quickly while the brake is depressed... im going to ttry to flush the system out maybe it has air in it idk.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
Have you checked the connectors and wire to the hub first?
Have you checked wheel speed sensor continuity?

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
530 Posts
Hi and thanks.

Not until this evening. I pulled off the right front tire and think I found the issue right away (may be more issues), but chose that wheel because I would first notice the light if I would hit a bump with that tire.

Straight away I noticed what I think is the ABS sensor wire is broken. It is not completely severed, but I am betting that is my issue. What is worse, I also noticed that my brake hose is dry rotted and cracked. (Pics below). The other side may be the same way, I guess my mechanic will check it out. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts