Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! This is my first post here. I have a 1990 STS (4.5 V8) with over 138.000 miles on it. The transmission (4 speed automatic with overdrive) never gave me a problem before, but a couple of weeks ago some of the shifts were a little bit rough. I took it to a local mechanic who told me it was actually the engine mounts that were causing the problem. He charged me $450 to replace all three of them and suggested to also change the transmission fluid and filter. The ironic thing is that now that I have new mounts and brand new fluid, the transmission works worse than before! From 2nd to 3rd, the shift is pretty rough and sometimes it can take up to 4 seconds for the shift to actually occur. The revolutions go way up and I'm affraid I'm damaging the engine this way, not to mention my fuel economy is a disaster right now. The rest of the shifts, however, are fine.

So, I took the car to my local AAMCO. It took them two days to actually diagnose the car and gave me an estimate. They said "it's an internal problem. It's gonna cost you over $1100". And that was it! As if I didn't know it was an internal problem! And they made me waste two days just to tell me that! And I even had to call them three times in order to receive any life-signs from them!

Is there any way any of you guys here can help me with this? I live in Hollywood, FL. Can you recommend a better place that can fix this problem for a more resonable amount? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I am not from Florida or nor have i been there but the best way to find a new gaurage is to drive around and just start talking to people. I folund my garage about 5 years ago and i can walk to it. Who would ever think that that would be possible. I HATE corp. owned places, i would NEVER take my car to those places. Ask around where people take there cars, friends, family, co-workers. That is a very high quote you got. For my old 89 blazer for the tranny to be replaced with a rebuilt one it was 850

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JJhomer83 said:
I am not from Florida or nor have i been there but the best way to find a new gaurage is to drive around and just start talking to people. I folund my garage about 5 years ago and i can walk to it. Who would ever think that that would be possible. I HATE corp. owned places, i would NEVER take my car to those places. Ask around where people take there cars, friends, family, co-workers. That is a very high quote you got. For my old 89 blazer for the tranny to be replaced with a rebuilt one it was 850
Thanks! I was able to find a local place. They treated me really well and told me there's a few small things that can be done that may solve the problem for really little money. They proposed to change the modulator and see what happens then. All for less than $90. Now, I'm certainly no expert in mechanics, so if anybody here could make any other suggestions or explain exactly what a "modulator" does I would really appreciate it.

Also, is it really dangerous to drive the car with the above described problem?

Finally, from all the "transmission treatments" like Lucas and other fluid brands, which one does really work?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Esteban Medaglia said:
Thanks! I was able to find a local place. They treated me really well and told me there's a few small things that can be done that may solve the problem for really little money. They proposed to change the modulator and see what happens then. All for less than $90. Now, I'm certainly no expert in mechanics, so if anybody here could make any other suggestions or explain exactly what a "modulator" does I would really appreciate it.

Also, is it really dangerous to drive the car with the above described problem?

Finally, from all the "transmission treatments" like Lucas and other fluid brands, which one does really work?
I am not an expert either i have heard of a modulator but i don't know what it is or does. About you driving your car i would personally baby the hell out of it untill i got it fixed. about the transmission treatments I would call that garage and ask them. They are doing the work you don't want to put something in that would f there work up. hope this will help ya

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JJhomer83 said:
I am not an expert either i have heard of a modulator but i don't know what it is or does. About you driving your car i would personally baby the hell out of it untill i got it fixed. about the transmission treatments I would call that garage and ask them. They are doing the work you don't want to put something in that would f there work up. hope this will help ya

Well, I just got back my car and, guess what? It runs fine! Just like before. They changed the modulator and did a few other tricks and now the problem is gone. I drove it for 10 minutes just to make sure and it seems all is well. Total charge: $86!!!! The guy told me it would last me for arounf 6 months but after that I would need a new transmission. What do you guys here think about this? I would really appreciate any kind of feedback. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
´67 Eldorado, ´96 Eldorado
522 Posts
This vacuum modulator located on the front side of the transaxle and is connected to engine mainfold vacuum to rapidly respond to changes in engine loading and has important effect on shift quality. If it is broken, it cause shifting problems like slippage and or too soft/harsh shift

1 - 6 of 6 Posts