Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys:
I have posted the following in this forum a few times...we are still having problems with stalling, bad idle and the car quiting going down the road at speed.
I have researched about every part of the ignition and fuel system...Does this sound like a bad/dirty EGR??? if so do I need to replace the EGR Vacuum Solenoid also?
Any help is appreciated..

See below for symptoms etc.

1990 4.5L Seville...new injectors in last year, new wires, new plugs, gas filter, multiple repairs to AC and heating system...new struts etc..well taken care of..

Car is missing intermittently so bad that it stalls on the highway...idles badly constantly... some trips it runs fine, but when the missing and stalling starts, the engine seems to not be able to work itself out. Car will run fine on a trip into town, then stall and miss on the way back home.
had it to a shop locally that had two ex-Cadillac techs...they finally gave it back to us, shaking their heads, after changing plugs, fuel filter, plug cables distributor etc.....

It is the quitting in the middle of the highway that is making the caddy almost not useable. Under power at 60 miles an hour, the red lights come on, and the car goes dead....I almost took out a phone pole last month.

Is there any particular place we can look for a component that will cause these erratic, but definitely dangerous problems?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,999 Posts
A bad EGR will cause idle problems and stalling at idle, but I am not sure if it will cause it to stall at cruise. I tend to think not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Krashed:

have not had fuel pressure checked...is that something I can do myself???

forgot, NO CODES displayed or in history,,I have become very adept at running the OBD-I diags.....

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,999 Posts
Get a fuel pressure gauge with a long hose (or modify it). Connect it to the fuel line via the schreader valve service port and tape the gauge to the windshield. Note the pressure when it is running good. If it is multiport injected (as opposed to TB injected) it should be about 45 psi I believe. Then note what it does when it starts acting up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts