Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Sedan Deville
7 Posts
Recently bought a 1990 Sedan Deville at auction, 38,000 miles on it, well maintained, original owner,it has the AM/FM Cassette player with equalizer, the left side front and rear speakers are not working. Is there a common problem with this particular unit as it was not used much by original owner? Car has been garage kept since it was purchased in April of 1991.

I recently bought a 1990 Sedan Deville at auction, Am/Fm Cassette stereo with equalizer, left side front and rear speakers are not working, is there a common problem with these particular units? Power antenna is unhooked, would this be affecting speaker ground perhaps? Car is untouched, all original, 38,000 miles, garage kept since purchase in April of 1990.

Threads moved and merged.

And title edited to be more descriptive.

·
Registered
1990 Sedan Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a vacuum line on the power antenna unit? Hooked up all connections to it and made no difference in speaker problem. Found what appears to be a vacuum line on power antenna unit but other end is not connected to anything.????? Hands in the air! :bigroll:

·
Registered
1990 Sedan DeVille
61 Posts
Congrats on your car! I don't think that there is a vacuum line for the power antenna...whatever loose hose you found goes to something else. Even when garage kept, the various components in those older stereos will eventually die. The speakers are probably fine, it's just time to get a modern, single DIN, head unit. Since it's a Cadi it needs at least needs Bluetooth for safer phone use and a backup camera anyway (just use smartphone for navigation). If you feel like you want to upgrade to something beyond a single DIN unit, like something with a fold-out touch screen...I would go with one that folds DOWN. The screen folding upward will just block the main A/C vents.

Here's a nice setup for a mobile phone holder. Link doesn't have a picture, but I have one and it rocks.
http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/pvp-75109-189/overview/year/1990/make/cadillac/model/deville

Then add this, or similar depending on your device:
http://www.summitracing.com/oh/parts/pvp-15575/overview/

I installed this head unit, my only gripe is that it does not have an external microphone for Bluetooth phone calls...callers can't hear me very well.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_79614_Soundstream-VR-345B.html

Added on this backup camera to it:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68744_Crimestopper-SV-5340.II-Universal-Back-Up-Camera.html

If the speakers do need to be replaced, don't stress...we'll get through that too.

·
Registered
1990 Sedan Deville
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks InfomanSS, I thought age would be a factor whether it was used much or not over the years. I have the same problem in a GMC Safari, thinking its a ACDelco trait.:yup:

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,840 Posts
Is there a vacuum line on the power antenna unit? Hooked up all connections to it and made no difference in speaker problem. Found what appears to be a vacuum line on power antenna unit but other end is not connected to anything.????? Hands in the air! :bigroll:
===================
Is there a vacuum line on the power antenna unit?
no - it could be a drain for water -

the left side front and rear speakers are not working
probably a blown amp within the radio -

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Sedan deVille
591 Posts
The common problems with those radios are crackling or very soft sound from the right channel. A couple of capacitors need to be changed and it's all like new. I had to do that with my unit.

I think basscat is probably right that your left channel amp is not working anymore. But, you could try connecting the right channel speakers to the left, or check the resistance on the left side speakers. That'll verify if the amp or the speakers are blown.

·
Registered
1985 Fleetwood 75
345 Posts
The left side with both front and rear speaker failures would indicate the IC amp Left part # DM185 IC has failed this feeds both front and rear and controls the fade.
It is also possible that you have a shorted of failed electrolytic capacitors on the AMP board. Open it up and replace all the electrolytic capacitors
if you can order 105C temp range all the better. voltage should be same or higher, uf value should be close. 100 uf replace with similar.
Also you can order DM 185 Delco IC amp IC on ebay etc..
Pull out radio and confirm with Ohm meter that the speaker coils are in good shape resistance for front about 10 Ohms backs about 4 ohms confirm not shorted to chassis. or it will ground out IC amp.
outputs float about 6V with respect to ground. it is also possible the speaker coils when working are shorting to ground due to failed speaker cone suspension check the speakers to make sure in good shape.
Caps probably the problem as they are 15 years old and do age due to heat from heat sink.
cheap fix parts solder and solder iron.
I am assuming this is not a Bose radio.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts