Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Sedan Deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard clicking noise in a relay (power window,radio,blower motor) under hush panel below glove box. When I pull this relay out, the clicking stops. When the relay is left in, the battery is drained overnight. Last two times trying to start the car, it started but had to crank longer than usual. Now it won't start. Tried fuel down throttle body and nothing. Replaced ICM and still nothing. Have a FSM bought off eBay...but won't be here to end of the week. I believe I have two different problems, but not sure. Any ideas where to start looking so I can get it started?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,120 Posts
If it will not run when you pour gas down the TB you have an ignition problem. Not sure what that relay is, but try replacing it.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Coupe Deville
12 Posts
Stick a Screwdriver into a spark plug wire hold it really close to a ground spot under the hood and have a friend crank it. It should arc and make aloud pop sound if it doesn't arc then its either your ICM, your ignition coil, or the pickup in your distributor. If it does arc then its your fuel delivery system. I just played this whole game with my 91 CDV. As far as your battery draining with that relay plugged in is beyond me. Although I had a problem where my battery was dying every night as well but that ended up being the automatic radio antenna motor would just run all the time, replaced the assembly and no more dead battery.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,120 Posts
You'd be far better off putting a spark plug in the boot and grounding the electrode and watch for the spark to jump the electrodes.

·
Registered
1990 Deville w/ 250,000 mi
280 Posts
You'd be far better off putting a spark plug in the boot and grounding the electrode and watch for the spark to jump the electrodes.
+1

...If I was going to dive into the ignition system first be sure and take a pic or mark your wires so you are 100% sure you got them back in the right location.

then I would take the ignition control module (ICM) and have it tested at a parts store. I would also probably pick up a cap and rotor regardless since they are cheap.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Coupe Deville
12 Posts
I tried it with a spark plug when I was having the issue. It wouldn't even arc a plug so I used a screwdriver. It don't hurt anything any-who.

·
Registered
1990 Sedan Deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far I've replaced ICM and pick up coil. Going to try coil on top of distributor cap. Hope this works. Otherwise don't know where to look next.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts