Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am a new 1990 Fleetwood owner, and in fact in 25 cars this is my first ever GM product. I bought it as a winter beater and it quickly won me over, it really is a joy to drive. It had two problems: a dead injector which I’ve replaced myself to success, and a leaky rusty power steering return line.
I cannot figure out how to replace or route this line, and I’m no amateur at working on my own cars. I have ordered it and after investigating how it wraps around the whole engine, I brought it to my mechanic because I did not want to attempt it. He said he can’t figure out how to install it either, without dropping the subframe, and he can’t even tell where the cooler loop (circled) is supposed to go. On my car, someone cut it off a long time ago and replaced it with a hose loop, so we don’t have a template to compare.
White Product Organ Organism Font

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,961 Posts
My '89 service manual has that procedure in the rack and pinion service section.

Long story short you have to remove the engine and front wheel drive assembly. It's a Cadillac.

I am just kidding. When I get some time I will scan the instructions. Quite a bit of "stuff" to remove or relocate temporarily.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My '89 service manual has that procedure in the rack and pinion service section.

Long story short you have to remove the engine and front wheel drive assembly. It's a Cadillac.

I am just kidding. When I get some time I will scan the instructions. Quite a bit of "stuff" to remove or relocate temporarily.
You got me! Thank your very much.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,961 Posts
They saved some printing ink by not putting the words "remove" and "replace" in the instructions.

I didn't copy it but there are instructions on how to bleed the system.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,961 Posts
P/S cooler line is part number 26012569.
That appears to come from the rear of the rack and pinion assembly then along the subframe and the loop
is near the bottom of the radiator.

GM Parts Giant has old parts and they didn't have it.

This came up on eBay

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will say one thing I did genuinely get from this is that they do not expect you to replace it as an intact enormous unit from pump to cooler. The instructions make it clear that you are supposed to treat it as two halves connected at the hoses.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I
P/S cooler line is part number 26012569.
That appears to come from the rear of the rack and pinion assembly then along the subframe and the loop
is near the bottom of the radiator.

GM Parts Giant has old parts and they didn't have it.

This came up on eBay
I bought that hose. They ship it assembled but it makes sense that it installs as two halves. I wish the manual had an image of where the cooler loop goes though. Because mine is missing I don’t get it. Do you have one of those generation of cars? Would you be able to photograph it for me? I really appreciate the assistance

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,961 Posts
I

I bought that hose. They ship it assembled but it makes sense that it installs as two halves. I wish the manual had an image of where the cooler loop goes though. Because mine is missing I don’t get it. Do you have one of those generation of cars? Would you be able to photograph it for me? I really appreciate the assistance
I have an '89. I'll look at it tomorrow.
The parts manual kind of has an image of where it goes.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,961 Posts
I haven't looked at my car yet. I was out in the building where it is stored and I forgot to look.

From your original posting picture it looks like the loop is up front near the radiator. Another parts diagram in the parts manual shows the same thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't looked at my car yet. I was out in the building where it is stored and I forgot to look.

From your original posting picture it looks like the loop is up front near the radiator. Another parts diagram in the parts manual shows the same thing.
Yes I agree it’s definitely up front near the radiator. What I can’t tel is if it’s behind it near the fans, or in front nestled into the body area below the bumper. I’m hoping not that, the instructions you shared don’t mention disassembling the whole front clip.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,961 Posts
I looked and the loop is on the drivers side in front of the radiator. There is a bracket holding the loop to the center brace just below the hood latch near the bottom of the brace. Part numbers 22 and 23 in your diagram. I can't tell where the ends of the loop go to. When I look (barely able to see) at the drivers side at the outside edge of the radiator I don't see the ends of the loop. They must go down and back to the rear along the frame someplace.

I'm guessing to put one in you would need to remove the trim cover above the radiator support and it should drop in at an angle .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked and the loop is on the drivers side in front of the radiator. There is a bracket holding the loop to the center brace just below the hood latch near the bottom of the brace. Part numbers 22 and 23 in your diagram. I can't tell where the ends of the loop go to. When I look (barely able to see) at the drivers side at the outside edge of the radiator I don't see the ends of the loop. They must go down and back to the rear along the frame someplace.

I'm guessing to put one in you would need to remove the trim cover above the radiator support and it should drop in at an angle .
Thank you so much for looking for me! Just having that clarity of where it’s supposed to go will make installing it, and knowing what to take apart, so much more intuitive Im sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did eventually fix this! I thought I would share for others in the future. The loop at the front goes in the lower valence in front of the radiator and evaporator. It sneaks around the radiator core support on the drivers side in a non obvious place, basically a gap between the plastic chin spoiler and the core support. Unfasten the chin spoiler, place the cooler line, and reattach the spoiler. As for it wrapping all the way around the engine, I spliced the new metal drivers side loop into the original loop at the rubber hoses near the firewall.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts