Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've searched, can't find much information at all.

I've got a good friend selling me his 2nd owner 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood FWD. He is over 65yrs old, he purchased it from a little old lady, Garage kept, with 47,340 miles on it.

This car looks brand new, inside and out.

Anyway, it is missing. I thought I had found the problem, 1 spark plug wire was laying on the manifold, and arching. I have since replaced all the spark plug wires and plugs.

Now the service engine light comes on.

Anyway, the problem was getting worse before I did the tune up, but it has continued to get worse.

I'm about to replace the cap and rotor, then about to do the Ignition coil, and maybe the ignition module.

Is there a better forum than this, I'm used to being able to find all kinds of information....LOL.

It is missing, and REALLY weak! It dies when I come to a stop sign or red light with the A/C on.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
bad gas, low fuel pressure, ISC out of whack, lots of possibilities

pull the codes and see what that says first

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bad gas, low fuel pressure, ISC out of whack, lots of possibilities

pull the codes and see what that says first

How? I've already tried pushing the "warm" and "off" buttons on the a/c. no codes there.

It isn't bad gas. Also, it is getting about 9mpg, I think it is getting plenty of fuel.

ISC? Trying the EGR valve now.

·
Registered
616 Posts
pull the vacuum hose at the fuel pressure regulator and see if you have gas there if you do it needs a new fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Which "service" light came on? There's one for "soon" and another for "now". The one for "soon" typically means a reading is out of bounds (ie an unexpected O2 reading), while "now" means something has failed (ie, no O2 reading at all). The "soon" light doesn't always have an associated code but usually does. You might need to buy some shop time and get it on a scanner to see what's out of bounds. Probably something simple, just need to get the car to tell you what's the problem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which "service" light came on? There's one for "soon" and another for "now". The one for "soon" typically means a reading is out of bounds (ie an unexpected O2 reading), while "now" means something has failed (ie, no O2 reading at all). The "soon" light doesn't always have an associated code but usually does. You might need to buy some shop time and get it on a scanner to see what's out of bounds. Probably something simple, just need to get the car to tell you what's the problem
It is the "service engine soon" light.

I've replaced the following (prices are for my notes):

Plugs: $45.00 (no doubt they needed replacing)
Wires: $43.00 (no doubt they needed replacing)
Distributor Cap: $25.00 (no doubt it needed replacing)
Rotor: $10.00 (no doubt it needed replacing)
Ignition module: $22.00
Ignition coil: $43.00
EGR valve: $30.00
Serpentine belt: $30.00 (not related to problem, just needed it)
A/C conversion to R134a. (A/C had leaked all refrigerant--not related)
$170.00

I've been thinking this is an ignition problem (obviously). I'm taking this thing to a Cadillac dealer tomorrow man! I'm ready to drive it!!

Also, looking at all the reciepts in the glove box, 4 yrs ago (5/2006), and about 3,000 miles ago, all the above were supposedly replaced, including the fuel pump, computer, ignition pickup coil, and an "E-prom" was added?

This car has had this problem before. Thank God I have done all the above for pretty damn cheap!

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Check the compression ... sometimes the aluminum rocker guides will crack, happened to me 2x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, the instructions on this website for pulling the codes are a bit lacking.

1st off, the Cruise control is supposed to be "On" while pulling the codes.

2ndly, the codes appear in the fuel information center (or whatever you call it), not on the A/C display as one might would think reading the instructions.

I got the E30, E34, E52, E91, and E99 codes.

E30 - ISC RPM Out Of Range
E34 - MAP Sensor Signal Out Of Range
E52 - PCM Memory Reset (See Note)
E91 - PRNDL Switch Problem
E99 - Cruise Servo Apply Problem

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Clear the codes and see which one comes back after the next SES lamp. MAP seems the most likely, since it is used by the computer to determine the amount of air in the plenum so that it can inject the appropriate amount of fuel. You might just have a bad vacuum leak too

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took it to the Cadillac dealer.

All 8 injectors are reading low ohms. (1 to 3 ohms).

Their quote was $2300 for all, (including 3 hours labor charge @ $140/hr).

I'm buying autozone injectors and gaskets for about $700...+ the $420 labor is about $1200 after all said and done..

I just hope this fixes it.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
You should have searched around the forum. I think guys buy injectors cheaper than that. The MAP sensor code would make it run pretty bad too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts