Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I read most of the posts concerning motor & trans mounts. Guys are either complaining about them or just stating they fixed them. I need some specific directions about the removal procedure.

I had no problems replacing the front left trans mount, but the right front engine mount has me stumped. I know it is attached to a Y bracket but one of the bolts is real tight behind the AC compressor. Does the AC compressor have to be unbolted and pushed out of the way to access that Y bracket bolt?

I don't want to do extra work or break the AC.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guys,

Zero replies..... did I say something wrong? I could really use some good advice heading into the 3 day weekend.

·
Registered
85&88 SEVILLES, 90 DEVILLE'S (2)
29 Posts
Re: 1990 Deville front motor & trans mount removal question

bump!

Hi there!

I have a 1990 Deville with the 4.5L and want/need to change all 4 mounts.

I'm starting the the front one on the passenger side and using a FSM to guide me.

But two fasteners are hard to reach:

a) rearmost nut holding engine bracket to stud on top of the mount (blocked by shape of bracket and almost zero clearance to drop a box end wrench over it - have been trying with an open-end wrench)

and

b) leftmost bolt that holds the bracket to the engine block (this one is blocked by the AC compressor).

Any hints or tips about tools to use or strategy would be most appreciated!

regards,
Ed in Maryland

·
Registered
58 Coupe Deville, 77 Coupe deville, 90 Deville
184 Posts
I had problems with this job on my 90 Deville replacing the pass side front motor mount. If you have access to a torch you can bend a cheap 15mm wrench to fit that hard to get fastener. Tried every thing else, crowsfoot wrenches, swivel sockets nothing else will get that last nut.

·
Registered
85&88 SEVILLES, 90 DEVILLE'S (2)
29 Posts
Thank you Daniel58! :worship:

I do have a torch and will try that tonight after work. I'm thinking the wrench will need to be bent sort of in a stairstep shape like this: _____/-------

Also, did you have to loosen/remove the bolts holding the AC compressor so as to access the leftmost bracket-to-engine bolt?

Thanks again for the tip!

Ed :)

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
Folks,

I read most of the posts concerning motor & trans mounts. Guys are either complaining about them or just stating they fixed them. I need some specific directions about the removal procedure.

I had no problems replacing the front left trans mount, but the right front engine mount has me stumped. I know it is attached to a Y bracket but one of the bolts is real tight behind the AC compressor. Does the AC compressor have to be unbolted and pushed out of the way to access that Y bracket bolt?

I don't want to do extra work or break the AC.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.Thanks,

Dave
For what it's worth: a man who does his own work on the Cadillac needs to have a Cadillac Factory Service manual. THE best tool a DIR'er can have. Plenty of them available on ebay from $19 and up.
Type in the ebay search engine: 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood service manual.
It's a smart buy.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts