Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 1990 sedan deville with 165000 miles on it. I just drove it to and from Nebraska this past week with no problems.
Today was the first time I started it since Saturday, and as soon as I turned it on, there was this loud whining noise, like an airplane taking off. I drove a little while and it got quieter...but it's still there whenever I step on the gas.
The autoshop I love is booked 2 weeks out. Any ideas what's wrong with it, and if there's anything I can do?

Thanks!
Ms Erickson

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Could be many things. Bad accessory drive belt, belt tensioner bearing, idler bearing, compressor clutch bearing, alternator bearing, vacuum leak. You need to isolate it. If you back off on thensioner just enough to allow the belt to slip and the whine goes away, then you know for sure it is associated with the belt or something it drives. A stethescope or lenght of hose to your ear is also a good way to locate it. Be careful with that hose around spinning belts.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just got a call from the shop. It's the ignition pulley.

How often do those go bad?

Thanks
Ms Erickson

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
What in the world is an 'ignition' pulley? Did you mean 'idle' pulley? They can go bad as often as anything else. I'd consider that a minor repair.

·
Registered
2004 Deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's probably what he said. Sorry. Just have a lot of other things on my mind right now.
I just want my car back!

Thanks for responding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts