Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Sedan de Ville 1995 eldorado 2000 buick century
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1990 sedan de vill with a 4.5 it starts fine most of the time and at sometimes it doesnt. i replaced the ignition switch under a year ago, and im sure thats not it b/c when i had that problem before the security light would be on when it didnt want to start and off when it would, now the light does work so im sure its not that, now when i turn the key to the run position and go under the car and jump the starter by using a screw driver on the solenoid it starts fine every time. so i dont think its the starter but im not sure could it be a relay possibly any ideas are welcome and thanx in advance.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
Cables, connections, ground, relay or solenoid are what I'd start looking at.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i did the cables and the stater connects are good i was thinking solenoid or relay but didnt know where the one for the starter is i read a previous post which said under drivers side dash is that correct? and could that cause it?

·
Registered
90 Deville
70 Posts
Before you jump into the relay, take a close look at the battery ground cable that is attached to the block by the starter. On some there is a bracket at the back of the starter that goes to the block, the cable is there. I had your same problem and mine looked OK, but as it turns out that was my problem. (After a new solenoid, starter and running down relays)

Also be sure to check the lead spacer between the two positive battery cables. This point is a known GM point for corrosion.

The relay for the VATS system is above the steering column, upside down and above the support bar to the left of the column. I got mine out to test it, but couldn't ever get it screwed back into place, it is so far up, tight clearance and upsidedown, so I wire-tied it up there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx stew yeah i cut the rubber off the terminals long ago but as far as that ground im going to try to track that down this evening and at worst replace the starter being that its only about 60 bucks so thanx again and ill post back with the results.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey stew upon further inspection i found a wire loose it was a small one tword the front of the starter i tightend it up and its been fine so far but sometimes it wouldnt do it for a few weeks at a time so my fingers are crossed thanx for the help

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i replaced the starter just because and as up to date i havent had anymore problems so thanx for all who gave advice..

·
Registered
Cadillac Deville 1990
266 Posts
Dallasj,
I too have this same issue but the weird thing is that mine would start after a few minutes. So what I did was I replaced the starter, battery, soldered a broken wire in the steer wheel, and just two days ago replaced the Park/Neutral switch ($112...ouch) but now my car will only start a couple of time then nothing. Not even a click or turn over! After a frustrating day of working with it I shock the steer wheel kind of violently and guess what it started. So I did it all over again and the car seems to start when I shake the steering wheel so I am about to crack open the steer wheel again and re-check the wire. Like you though I want to check the starter relay under the dash which is the most logical to do and I only have to drop the column to get to it but if that fails I will open the steer wheel and check the wires. Funny thing on my end that leads me to doing this check is that I get no power to the starter when I turn the key on but when I do get power the cars start ok this is why I think mine is electrical.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts