Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Sedan Deville
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My caddy is just like the dog not limping at the vets: Mechanic cannot figure out why off and on it just wont start.
Turn the key not even a click then my husband prays and sometimes it just starts. Last night that was not enough after geting out of church so he asked me to pray and it started.

When we towed it to the shop over a year ago it would not act up so unless it does the same for them it does not get figured out. It seems ridiculous to purchase a new starter if the starter is not the problem. To me like in my line of work one has to rule out what is not the issue so symptoms are treated not the base problem.

We tried removing the gas cap and that seemed like a solution but even that does not help. We have been dealign with this over 2 years so since you guys here are more familiar then I with autos I thought you might have more insight than I. I know in the Bible in since for every problem the Lord already says in HIs Word He has the solution I need a littel guidance to find that right solution.

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
'91 Brougham
89 Posts
Re: 1990 Sedan Deville Caddy off and on will not start

Sounds simple, but try replacing the battery. This happened to me too and I was worried but I lucked out it was just an older battery. Replaced it and been fine ever since.

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 Sport Wagon Premium 3.6L | 94 Fleetwood Base (Gone)
317 Posts

Does it not click at all? Do you have any oil leaks?

About once a year my car does the exact same thing.. No click, then randomly starts. Here's my solution:

Pull off starter.
Clean starter where it mounts to block and clean block with brake clean. Usually has a good chunk of oil under there.
Put starter back on, good for another year or so.. Last time I did it was in -20Celcius weather in December. Took all of 30 mins.

Essentially what's happening is oil is seeping between the starter and the block, killing the ground connection. Sometimes the connection is just good enough to start and that's when you get lucky.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts

Very easily be a cable corrosion problem as stated. Next time shift car from park to D and back and give another shot. Outside chance neutral safety acting up also.

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
I'm pretty sure God would say to clean your battery terminals yourself. It sounds like simple battery connection issues to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts