Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,

i need some information on what might be the problem with the 90 deville i just bought.

it seemed to run great for the last week but on my way home from work today, it stalled and would not start. after waiting a few minutes to restart the car,it started fine andidled fine for a few seconds and then died again. i was not able to keep the engine running more than a few seconds at a time.

i waited for my brother to give me a hand getting it home and he thinks it might be a clogged fuel filter, bad gas (i added gas at the station last night, about 10 gallons), or a bad o2 sensor.

otherwise the car runs and rides great and i need to get an estimate of how hard it will be to fix this (or maybe get pointed in the right direction as to how to troubleshoot this before i drop a bundle on a mechanic)

thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for looking!

i was able to get the codes finally last night after work.

E: E31 E49 E52 E61 E62 E65 E97 EE

F: F48

F.8.0

this is all that i saw and i ran the test twice to make sure i did not miss anything.

the car ran fine until it warmed up it seemed. i went to put gas in it and it died for a second on the road. i was able to get to the gas station but it stalled again and i had to have my brother tow it back home (the benefits of having a family member working for a towing company)

i did have the heat on whenever it died if this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,
E31 Shorted map sensor circut - will cause stalling
E49 Air management system problem - caused by above
E52 ECM memory reset - no problem
E61 Cruise vent solenoid circut - cruise control disabled
E62 Cruise vacuum solenoid circut - cruise problem
E65 Servo position sensor failure - cruise control again
E97 P/N to D/R at high throttle - 2000RPM at less than 6MPH ?
F48 Refrigerant sysyem problem - A/C needs work

In summary, you have a shorted Map sensor causing the stalling.
I'm not a mechanic, I just got a service manual on ebay.

Good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for posting the codes. i haven't had time to get the manual, so i will just pick up a chiltons book from the store.

now, i reset the codes (by accident) is this bad? the service engine light is gone and the car has not stalled since then. i have tried duplicating my driving conditions on the days that it has happened and i was unable to get the car to stall. (i even drove it to work for a change:))

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update for my trip home from work this morning:

it finally stalled. as soon as the engine warmed up, it started to stall so i pulled over and then it backfired and then died.

i waited about 20 minutes ands i was able to drive the car a block before it died again.

a 5 minute trip through my town was about an hour with stopping and waiting.

i picked up a chiltons manual so as soon as my brother gets home, i will crack the hood open and see what is going on.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Chiltons wont help..... Get a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL from ebay or from www.helminc.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, a mechanic narrowed down some of the issues on my caddy:

bad iac
bad egr valve
bad vacuum solenoid (i assume this is related to the egr valve the way he explained it)

he also indicated that there was a backfire problem on the car.

can someone give me a ballpark on parts and maybe some tips on what to check and verify? the mechanic wanted $530 to do the repairs on just those 3 items.

i ordered the factory shop manual but it has not come in yet but between myself and my brother, i am confident in handling 90% of the repairs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
you will be paying whether he is fixing the problem or not, get a second opinion before you pay $530 just to have the car stall on your way home. do not tell the second guy what the first guy said before he looks at it.

call your local parts store and see what they want for them and how hard installation is.

I would do it myself not so much to save money (although you will) but because so many places will mess up your car so you have to come back, especially in large cities.

good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts