Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Eldorado Biarritz
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm going to change the cylinder head gaskets on my 1990 Eldorado 4.5l , I was able to buy the head gasket set from RockAuto, but for some reason I can't find the head bolts anyways.

Can anybody point me in the right direction as to where I can purchase them?

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
1990 Eldorado Biarritz
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, the google search route is tricky as lots of websites seem to be sold out of them at the moment - but I'll keep looking :)

·
Registered
1984 Eldorado Biarritz, 1983 Sedan deVille
1,507 Posts
Are you missing them? If you have the old ones, they are reusable.

·
Registered
89 Deville, 06 DTS
188 Posts
Hi, I'm going to change the cylinder head gaskets on my 1990 Eldorado 4.5l , I was able to buy the head gasket set from RockAuto, but for some reason I can't find the head bolts anyways.

Can anybody point me in the right direction as to where I can purchase them?

Thank you. :)
The old bolts are reusable. I did the same job to my '89. I would recommend getting a throw away bolt that you can make a chaser out of, and clean and reuse the rest.
Also, be aware of the tendency for the 8 high torque bolts to strip, requiring the factory helicoil kit to repair. There's several threads about this.
If this is your first time doing head gaskets, I would also recommend you hunt down composite gaskets, as opposed to the MLS gaskets typically sold today. This is assuming you are leaving the engine in the car and won't be resurfacing the block.

·
Registered
1990 Eldorado Biarritz
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you missing them? If you have the old ones, they are reusable.
I have the old ones, I was just considering using new ones.
The old bolts are reusable. I did the same job to my '89. I would recommend getting a throw away bolt that you can make a chaser out of, and clean and reuse the rest.
Also, be aware of the tendency for the 8 high torque bolts to strip, requiring the factory helicoil kit to repair. There's several threads about this.
If this is your first time doing head gaskets, I would also recommend you hunt down composite gaskets, as opposed to the MLS gaskets typically sold today. This is assuming you are leaving the engine in the car and won't be resurfacing the block.
Thanks for the advice and especially the heads-up on the torque bolts. I won't be doing the work myself, a friend has offered to do the job for me. So I'm going to make sure he studies the forums here to learn as much as possible before starting the job.

Happy New Year :)

·
Registered
89 Deville, 06 DTS
188 Posts
I have the old ones, I was just considering using new ones
Just a note for anyone reading: although it may be a preference to hunt down new head bolts when replacing the gasket, it is only absolutely necessary if the bolt is a TTY (torque to yield) bolt. Such bolts are deformed in the tightening process, and, as such, not reusable. The bolts in the 4.5 and 4.9s are not TTY, so feel comfortable reusing them as long as the threads are not damaged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts