Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad has an 89 Allante at our lake house that gets driven very rarely. Well in the last couple years he has had alot of problems with it. Recently the Fuel Pressure Regulator was replaced with a used one because it was claimed to be a discontinued part. I found one at Rock Auto for the 4.5 that is in the car new. Well anyway with that used fpr the car will start in run but it's almost like the engine is getting flooded with gas because if you turn off the car and try and restart it won't start and reaks of gasoline. But if you let the car sit for a day or two it will start barely. I am assuming to much gas is getting into the engine what do you guys think ? Also the Control fault light is on that is between the tach and spedometer. Do you guys think I should order the new fpr and see if that fixes it ? I would like to fix the car so my dad dosn't have to have it towed to des moines ia from lake of the ozarks in missouri.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There also was very little gas in it and it was very old. I have been going to the gas station and filling my two gallon gas can and bringing it back to the car which also seems to improve how the car runs. Last time I put a little techron in the tank as well.

·
Banned
Is one enough ?
645 Posts
check and see what codes it is throwing and whether
they are current of history.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Do a search on this forum for "codes" or "fault codes". Hold the red warmer button and the off button at the same time on the climate control head. Be prepared to write down all codes displayed. Car ideally should be running when doing the code search. If your car has the digital dash be prepared to be impressed when the system self tests all the gauge light segments upon entering diagnostics!

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I will check it out next time I am there. I wasn't sure if the Allante was able to give me the codes via self diagnosis.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
No!. But if the FPR is faulty it will drip fuel from the vacuum hose nipple with the vacuum line disconnected. They fail when the diaphram within it ruptures.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah but on the Allante it appears to be mechanical on the 4.5 non Northstar one ?
I have replaced one on a previous Northstar I owned.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
All of them are mechanical, just not adjustable. The diaphram within moves according to vacuum supplied.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
You're getting way ahead of yourself. #1 we dont know if the FPR is faulty, #2 the FPR is NOT adjustable. We need to know what codes are current, then proceed based on the codes. I assume you found the info on how to run the codes?

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah I am five hours from the car though so it's going to be until labor day weekend before I have codes pulled.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well my dad beat me to it and had the car towed back to des moines he knew someone with a trailer so it didn't cost anything and he took it to his mechanic and they said there is a fuel problem. Once it's fixed my dad is going to be storing it in my garage until his new garage is complete so I will get some good pics of it after I get it cleaned up which it really needs that.

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok new issue when it comes to stops the oil pressure drops to near nothing. The oil pump has been replaced and the mechanic mentioned something about a recall and he dosn't know what part it was and can't find it or the part number. Can anyone help with this ?

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Probably a faulty oil pressure sender or the harness that plugs onto it. The only recall I remember had to do with gas caps not holding pressure?? You can either have the oil pressure tested with a mechanical gauge or just replace the sender. And, with each new issue, you should post a new thread so people can locate the issue doing a "search".

·
Registered
191 Posts
Aftermarket oil pressure sensors can show oil pressure drop to zero at idle, but that is not the true reading. I have only seen this happen on 1993 Allante's, on at least two of them. I will never again use anything but a Delco oil pressure sensor. Here's another possibility. Check your idle speed to make sure it is not too low. I was struggling with a '91 a few years back and the oil pressure light was coming on at idle after it warmed up. Then the ISC motor died, and the car would stall at idle unless I kept my foot on the gas. After I replaced the ISC motor, the low oil pressure red light never came on again.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Check the ground on the engine block near the starter. Common problem. Clean and tighten(disconnect bat first). Good luck.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Thanks for the imput but are you aware this thread is at least 4 months old?

·
Registered
90.5 Allante, 02 Deville, 13 ATS 2.0t
119 Posts
I have found that a fuel pressure gage, purchased from any discount auto parts store very handy in troubleshooting fuel pressure issues and leaky injectors. They are about $35.
You may have an injector or two that are leaking badly pressure has leaked all the way down thus creating the fuel smell. A day or two later the fuel has dried up thus allowing it to restart.
I have had good luck with reconditioned injectors from Rockauto.com. The Allante 4.5 injectors are weak to begin with and the tired fuel does not help.
Injectors are easier to change than sparkplugs on these 4.5's

1 - 20 of 21 Posts