Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a 1989 Fleetwood Sixty Special for sale with 68,000 miles. It is a one owner trade-in. The dealer is asking $2995. They tell me it checks out to be in excellent condition. This would be my first Cadillac. Does this sound like a good deal? Is there anything I should look for as a possible problem area with one of these cars? Thanks for any help/advice.

·
Registered
'93 Sixty Special
303 Posts
Best seats ever made! 22-way power seats!

Around 2000 produced(??). Anything that applies to the Deville will pretty much apply to this car, in terms of reliability. The motor is usually very reliable. Someone can probably chime in with some stuff to look out for. If not, check out the Deville section, as I think there was a similar thread before.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
22-way power seats?

how is that possible?

I think my DeVille is 6 or 8 or something....

what else moves on the seats?

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
Okay, here it comes, more INFO than you want! :)
The Sixty Special OPTION was available on 1989 thru & including the 1992 Fleetwood SEDAN. UnGODly expensive at $3,500.00 it was designed by Giogio Guigiaro, noted Italian automotive designer & father of the Lotus Esprit, the Maserati Quattroporte and BMW M1. The seats were done in Italy by his "Ital Design Studios" I believe in Turin, Italy. They were manufactured only a few miles away from me in Morristown, New Jersey by Allied Signal. Their color choice was very limited, and that caused exterior paint limitations as well.
The leather was ultra soft, buttery smooth Power Adjusting Lumbar Support in 3 seperate areas, Power Adjusting headrests, Power adjusting lateral back support, Power Seat back Recliners, Heated Seats and seatbacks, Power Thigh Supports, the lower cushion moves independantly from the seat back, "Split Seat Design" so that you can move the bottom without moving the backrest, or the back rest without moving the bottom. The rear center seat fold down armrest was the first to have dual cupholders. The front console opening devise was power operated and the console softly & silently glided open. Gold scroll writing announced SIXTY SPECIAL on the glove box door written in 24Ct. gold leaf.
In 1993, when they switched the name FLEETWOOD to the Rear Wheel Drive car, and re-named the FWD former Fleetwood Sixty Special, then the above described package became know as the ULTRA for that one year. So a 1989-1992 Fleetwood was the same as a 1993 Sixty Special and a 1989-1992 Fleetwood Sixty Special was the same as a 1993 Sixty Special ULTRA.
Here are production figures:-
1989 = 2007 units
1990 = 1824 units
1991 = 1253 units
1992 = 815 units
1993 = 688 units
Total= 6587 units in 5 years. Average of 1317 a year
Interiors were: Light Grey / Navy Blue / Burgundy / Black

S A N D Y

·
Registered
'93 Sixty Special
303 Posts
Night Wolf said:
22-way power seats?

how is that possible?

I think my DeVille is 6 or 8 or something....

what else moves on the seats?
These are the controls on the side of the seat. I don't have a pic of the controls on the door.

Chuck, I think the price is pretty fair, but if the dealer doesn't know what they have, you may be able to talk them down a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
I should add that the black interior color choice was not available until 1992 & 1993 "Ultra". 1989 thru 1991 was grey; burgundy red or navy blue. They continued for 92 & 93 and Black was added. Black interior is indeed the rare one.

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood sixty
9 Posts
Best seats ever made! 22-way power seats!

Around 2000 produced(??). Anything that applies to the Deville will pretty much apply to this car, in terms of reliability. The motor is usually very reliable. Someone can probably chime in with some stuff to look out for. If not, check out the Deville section, as I think there was a similar thread before.
Actually, there were only 400 produced for 1989 and the seat was a 20-way seat. Even the headrest was powered. The seats were totally different than any other Cadillac seats to this point or since, in that they were Italian designed. I know all this stuff because I ordered one without the sunroof and without the vinyl top. The extra five inches hardly showed, but sitting in the back seat was beyond comfortable. The front-wheel-drive and the ride are better than most cars today. I hated the fender skirts so ordered all the moldings for a DeVille and had them installed to get the open-wheel look. The pinstripe, gold emblems, chromed factory wheels,
89 Fleetwood right side.jpg
and Vogue tires were added to complete the look you see. Otherwise, it was all original. The performance was what I liked, 4100 engine would definitely get the car out of its own way.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
805 Posts
Actually, there were only 400 produced for 1989 and the seat was a 20-way seat. Even the headrest was powered. The seats were totally different than any other Cadillac seats to this point or since, in that they were Italian designed. I know all this stuff because I ordered one without the sunroof and without the vinyl top. The extra five inches hardly showed, but sitting in the back seat was beyond comfortable. The front-wheel-drive and the ride are better than most cars today. I hated the fender skirts so ordered all the moldings for a DeVille and had them installed to get the open-wheel look. The pinstripe, gold emblems, chromed factory wheels, View attachment 571887 and Vogue tires were added to complete the look you see. Otherwise, it was all original. The performance was what I liked, 4100 engine would definitely get the car out of its own way.
Wow, that is a beauty. I never liked the fender skirts or vinyl tops either. Your car is perfect. I wish we still had pictures of Sandy's car around here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts