Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added this Fleetwood to my fleet and it arrived yesterday. About 43K miles on it and accurate.

The headlight assembly's to me look a bit foggy. I can barely see the bulbs when I get close to mine.

I found a new set on eBay and GM Parts Giant. The eBay photos they look quite clear.
The face looks like glass and when I peck on it it sounds like glass.

The eBay description says composite. Composite as in glass face and interior face is plastic?

Maybe they can be removed and cleaned on the inside without replacing. Possibly go from halogen
to LED's for less heat. All though UV light has been known to discolor/fog plastic lenses. The car
appears to have always been garage parked out of the sun.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quite clean and the interior also. Elderly couple owned who passed away.

I couldn't get the gas cap door to open this morning when I pushed the button. Oh my I thought. I found the manual release in the trunk. I sprayed lube on the latch that moves and that fixed it. Just enough resistance to cause it not to unlatch fully.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the older lamps have glass lenses. That's what it seems like anyway
I turned the headlights on and looked and it appears to be an opaque film on the glass on the inside.
I suppose I'll remove one and see if I can clean it off. I may switch to LED's too.

·
Registered
'84 Eldorado and Seville
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the headlight assembly which was pretty easy to do.
T15 torx remove 6 screws holding the grille.
T15 torx remove 2 screws holding the cornering lamp assembly.
2 - 10 mm nuts near the cornering lamp remove.
2 - 10 mm screw/bolts near where the grille edge is at
1 - remove 8 mm bolt/screw holding the trim piece between grille and headlight assembly
Pull the headlight assembly slightly forward and toward the center of the car to get the outside out
Pull the inner edge out just enough to clear the trim piece and you have it out.

I poured some vinegar inside the assembly, oh maybe about 1/2 inch and swished it around.
I let it set for several hours and occasionally swished it around.
Rinsed it out with distilled water and turned it upside own to drain good out the headlamp holes.
I air dried it in front of a fan over night.

Quite the difference. I should have taken before and after photo's.
Now the glass is crystal clear.

I did replace the HID's with 35 watt LED's. What a difference that made. Much brighter.
I bought the LED's from XENON Pro for several hundred dollars https://www.xenonpro.com/

I want to say they were made in Germany vs China.
I put LED's in my GMC Duramax late last year from another seller and now I wish I had gotten them
from Xenon Pro. They were made in China crap. In fact several of the front lamps didn't work even
after trying to switch the plug around, PITA because my truck you have to nearly disassemble the
front to get to the headlight assembly. I don't know what engineer thought of that. Should have been
executed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts