Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood Brougham
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across a super clean 1989 Deville w/4.5 and 88,000 miles. Owner wants $3,700 and I’m thinking about making him an offer.

I only drive around 8K a year as I live in a city pretty close to work. What do you all think of this car as a daily driver? Any particular issues with the 4.5?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
You can get a better deal than that. There is a '93 SDV in the chicago craigslist with only 36,000 miles for $3499. It is in perfect shape and its newer with less miles than that one.

The car will make a great daily driver. I am in the same situation as you being that I only put about 10-20 miles a day on my car going between home, work and school. Its got plenty of power and the ride will be fantastic. Mileage will be about 15-16 city and 22-25 highway, depending on how you drive.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Too much money. About $1000 too high. That old of a car will need an oil change, coolant change with sealant pellets and a brake fluid flush as well. good drivetrain if all these items are done right away.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
With gas hovering around $4 a gallon, he's not going to have a line of buyers. Most people think Cadillacs are gas hogs, but this one will be pretty economical if you keep your foot out of it. The ride is sensational and the steering/suspension is almost bulletproof.

Check the onboard diagnostic system for any trouble codes. Ask if the coolant has been changed recently, and if the sealant tabs were used. A well maintained '89 is good for 125-200k without serious issues. Typical $$$ failures are intake and/or head gaskets (which usually fail before 88k), AC compressor, and the locking converter or transmission (which usually fail around 130k).

I'd offer him $2700 cash and be prepared to walk. If he seems insulted, tell him the offer is good for two weeks and give him your phone number. Betcha you get a call.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
There is no such thing as a "plug in " hybrid. Thats why they are hybrids, dont have to plug in.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Yes, if you can go for the 4.9. It is much more potent and will actually get better mileage than the 4.5 because it is MPFI while the 4.5 is still TBI. My '95 with the 4.9 would actually keep up with my friend's 350 powered Camaro. We raced from 40-80 once and by the end the front of my car was even with the back of his. I have the 4.5 in my Fleetwood and it is still a great motor, pulls very strong on the low end, but the 4.9 is even better.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Do the 4.5 and/or 4.9 run on 87 octane?
The 4.9 says premium but you can run it on regular if you like. Likewise, my 4.5 says to use regular but it causes it to idle rough and throttle response is less than ideal. I run mid-grade in my car. Personally, I do not think that running on regular or premium should be a decision when purchasing a car. When you think about it, its only about $2-$3 more per tank to use premium and you get much better performance and smoothness from it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,076 Posts
Do the 4.5 and/or 4.9 run on 87 octane?
Unlike the Northstar, the 4.9 DOES NOT have a knock sensor and thus does not respond well to 87. Might get away with 89. Not sure about the 4.5, but I think it is the same.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
Unlike the Northstar, the 4.9 DOES NOT have a knock sensor and thus does not respond well to 87. Might get away with 89. Not sure about the 4.5, but I think it is the same.
No, the 4.5 was designed to run on regular, but mine doesn't like it. It idles much smoother and has much better throttle response with midgrade.

·
Registered
97 Deville
93 Posts
I had an 89 with a 4.5 before and I ran it on 87 the whole time i had it since that's what the manual said. I know wish i still had it because it was a great car i had no major problems and it was pretty good on gas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a '95 Deville with the 4.9 engine & ran it on 87 for 9 yrs. Never pinged & it ran fine when I sold it with 133K mi.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts