Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired an 89 deville. When driving, it won’t ever shift into OD. I can be cursing at 60 mph and shift back and forth from 3 to OD and no shift is felt. Do have a check engine light come on but thought it is to do with a bad EGR. Anyone have any ideas on what to test or check??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, can you explain definitions?! I’m new to this car, don’t know what any of the codes mean! Thanks

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
1,026 Posts
Re: 1989 deville won’t shift into overdrive

I recognize those
E52 - ECM reset, you might have disconnected battery
E39 - VCC lockup, rpms did not match what was expected. I get this periodically on my 92 Fleetwood. Usually on very long drives. Car will run fine, just looses 1-2 mpg. Restart the car, problem gone. As frequency increases, it's a sign to change fluid for this car. Fluid change, and symptom goes away for 6+ months. Eventually, I may change the solenoid or vcc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for reply. I can reset the code while driving and light won’t come back on. However, every time re-start car and drive it comes back. Will a fluid change solve anything or should I go right to replacing solenoid?

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,340 Posts
Clearing codes doesn't fix anything; it only turns off the light. If the fault still exists next time you start the car, the light comes back. I'm not familiar with the OBD1 codes, look at the sticky at the top of this Deville page and you'll find definitions there.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
1,026 Posts
If it happens all of the time, then likely solenoid, valve, tcc, etc. Fluid change might help but unlikely.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts