Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1989 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. This vehicle has 36,000 original miles on it which made me think that due to the fact that this car has barely been driven, this part has failed. Instead hearing a normal ignition chime when the vehicle is started, when the lights are left on with the car off and driver's door open or when the key is left in the ignition with the driver's door open, I hear nothing. Sometimes, I hear a very, very faint sound but only sometimes. Is the problem due to a faulty chime/tone box? Could it be a fuse or some sort of relay? I'm lost on this one completely.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
You'll find this interesting. Your suspicions are very valid. In my 89, which is a STS by the way, but the chime is behind the glove box. You have to take the glove box out.

The interesting part is that the chime is NOT electronic. It's actually a brass chime with a hammer, like an old doorbell. I was truly amazed when I saw this.

There very well could be a nest of some type on it causing it not to work.

·
Registered
2000 SLS
292 Posts
I had chime not sounding problem on my 89. A solenoid lifts a striker to make the sound. The striker in the down position rests on rubber foam. The foam had collapsed to the point the striker was too far down for the solenoid to lift it. Locate and remove the unit, open it up and insert new rubber on the bottom. With right thickness it should start working again. If I remember right the unit is located under dash behind the glove box.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Good info. That's the design I recall also.

I had chime not sounding problem on my 89. A solenoid lifts a striker to make the sound. The striker in the down position rests on rubber foam. The foam had collapsed to the point the striker was too far down for the solenoid to lift it. Locate and remove the unit, open it up and insert new rubber on the bottom. With right thickness it should start working again. If I remember right the unit is located under dash behind the glove box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts