Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my 89 Brougham is leaking water from what appears to be the intake manifold (on driver's side of the car). This is the diagnosis of my mechanic. Is this a common problem with the 5.0 or??? Now is this a dealer repair or should I just have my mechanic replace the gaskets?

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
I had a leak on my 1991 at the front of the intake manifold. Any garage can fix it.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Olds V8's were more prone than most others to have intake to head leaks in the metal "turkey tray" gasket.

Snug up all the intake bolts and toss in some stop leak and see if it holds you till the weather warms up.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
N0DIH said:
Olds V8's were more prone than most others to have intake to head leaks in the metal "turkey tray" gasket.

Snug up all the intake bolts and toss in some stop leak and see if it holds you till the weather warms up.
I already dumped in some stop leak and it didn't do too much. I think it's leaking bad enough to where I have to get those gaskets changed out.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much would do the parts for this job cost (roughly)? Will I need any other parts or seals other than the intake manifold gaskets?

Also how much would a shop charge (roughly)?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
There is freeze plugs in the heads and block too, do inspect them, sometimes on older rides that aren't oil leakers they tend to rust and leak.

Expect $25 for intake gasket. For me, I could probably do it in 2 hours, I like to take my time and look closely at things. I did buy a "Buffalo" brand intake gasket for Autozone and had no issues with it.

Get some heater hose and replace the bypass hose on the thermostat housing to water pump if it is old at all. You will need a thermostat gasket too. That is an Aluminum intake and fragile themostat housing! Don't be a gorilla!!! Gentle torque. ALWAYS change oil if there is ANY REMOTE chance that any coolant can get into the oil/filter. As always, inspect closely for cracked fuel lines, broken vacuum lines, etc.

Have some Ultra Grey or the like permatex around, you WILL need it for the intake seals on the front and back. It is Oldsmobile required. Often you will also need permatex to surround the water passages in the intake gasket as well.

If you have the time to get them, this is a nice upgrade for a street driven carbonator powered car.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=18035

I ran them on my 455 T/A and most claims from the company were legit. I did get improved fuel economy and much better cold weather operation. You can likely save money on an Olds with it and cut up your old intake gasket to deflect oil off the intake (must have!!) and us these gaskets.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys.

I priced the gaskets from the dealer and they are going to cost me about $80 (its a kit the sell). Is there any thing else I would need to do this job at home (I'm going to have my mechanic do it on the side for me).

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi all

had the same problem with my 89 rwd brougham ( 307y ), replaced gasket, made checks. BUT. now find the vacuum digram on cadi is incomplete (the one on the car itself ) the one on the CD set of service manuals is incomplete, and the ones in the old chiltions,and hayns, motors are close but ... cadi is not running correctly (timing is correct). yes i do wish i had taken photos

before replacing the gasket the engine was running very smooth
there is a sound like an exhaust or vacuum leak that i have not been able to find

the car starts but runs very ruff and stalls easily

does anyone have a photo they can send me of the vacuum tubing locations or any ideas what i may have done wrong ?????

1 - 8 of 8 Posts