Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I am thinking of swapping the original 307 from my cad. My question is which motors would be a direct swap?...I was wondering if I could swap it direct with a 350 from an 89 pontiac Trans Am ( i think its TPI) also what trannys could I put in it I figure I might as well change that because last time I drove the car the tourque converter was sticking. Thanks for your responses in advanced!

·
Registered
1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)
1,493 Posts
Easiest swap would be to replace the 307. If you do this you can address what is wrong with the trans. If you put that Chevy based engine in your going to have to change the trans, some of the linkage, the engine wiring harness and possibly more.
If this is your first engine swap, the best piece of info I can give you is KISS.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,669 Posts
I'm working on the same engine swap but I have found that its easier to rebuild the 307 or get an OLDS 350. If you put that chevy TPI 350 in there, you need a wiring harness, fuel pump in the tank, tranny, tranny crossmember, motor mounts and new fuel lines maybe but you can upgrade your tranny with many options. If you keep it OLDS, all you need is the motor. The best way to do the engine swap is to get a donor car, preferably a 90 brougham because you can use the engine wiring harness. The harness from a 91/92 brougham wont work unless you swap all the wiring and thats were I'm stuck, the wiring.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,740 Posts
I'm working on the same engine swap but I have found that its easier to rebuild the 307 or get an OLDS 350. If you put that chevy TPI 350 in there, you need a wiring harness, fuel pump in the tank, tranny, tranny crossmember, motor mounts and new fuel lines maybe but you can upgrade your tranny with many options. If you keep it OLDS, all you need is the motor. The best way to do the engine swap is to get a donor car, preferably a 90 brougham because you can use the engine wiring harness. The harness from a 91/92 brougham wont work unless you swap all the wiring and thats were I'm stuck, the wiring.
hmmm... the phrase "we told you so" comes to mind...

·
Registered
1990 FLEETWOOD BROUGHAM
4 Posts
:lies: OK THESE TWO GUYS ARE SCARED OF A LIL CHALLANGE:hide:.(JAYOLDSCHOOL,DEVILLE33) I TOOK OUT THE OLDS 307 AND DROPED A CRATE CHEVY 350 IN THERE NO PROBLEM!WITH EDELEBROCK CAM, INTAKE (PREFORMER RPM SERIES), AND CARB (650 CFM MANUAL CHOKE) WITH HEADERS! AND THE 2004R TRANS,TRANS MOUNT, AND DRIVE SHAFT WILL BOLT UP FINE.AND TO MAKE IT EVEN MORE EASY GET RID OF THE TBI SO YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT WIRES.PUT A CARB ON IT, THE ONLY WIRES I HAVE IS ONE 12 VOLT TO HEI DISTRIBUTOR CAP FROM IGENTON(PINK COLOR). FOR THE STARTER ONE FROM BATTERY TO STARTER AND ANOUTHER LIL 1 THAT GOES TO IGENTION .AND FOR THE ALTENATOR (3 WIRE STYLE)CONNECT THE BATTERY TO IT ON THE BACK AND FROM THERE PUT ANOUTHER WIRE TO THE LIL POST MARKED #2. WHAT YOU WILL NEED IS DIFFRENT ENGINE MOTOR MOUNT BRACKETS AND EXHAUST. EASY!! MY 1ST MOTOR SWAP DONE IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS AFTER WORK.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
i heard somewhere you can swap out for like an old 403 or something too?? I'm not sure, never done it but I've considered ditching my 307 olds for something a little quicker...

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,740 Posts
Any Olds small block or big block will bolt in. 307, 350, 403, 455.

And, to clarify, Adam, most of the people around here know very well that I am not afraid of a challenge. I have the rides to prove it, too. ;)

·
Registered
1989 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance|2018 Chevy Colorado Z71
6,384 Posts
Looking to do one of these this year. I'm checking out Olds 350s and found one from 1972 but I'm a little disappointed at the specs. Going from 140hp and 255ft/lbs. to 180hp and 285ft/lbs isn't too exciting.....

Maybe I can find a 455 somewhere, then I can stick 4-4-2 badges on the fenders. Lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.