Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched but cant find the information im looking for. Looking to swap the dreaded ht4100 out for more HP and torque. This will be my first swap and trying to learn all I can. What motors will be the most straightforward to swap? What all needs to be changed? Will i need a different tranny? Can someone direct me to the appropriate thread.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,509 Posts
I have searched but cant find the information im looking for. Looking to swap the dreaded ht4100 out for more HP and torque. This will be my first swap and trying to learn all I can. What motors will be the most straightforward to swap? What all needs to be changed? Will i need a different tranny? Can someone direct me to the appropriate thread.
=======================
OK - the short and not-so-sweet answer -
FORGET IT -
UNLESS you have Jay Leno kinda money -

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,929 Posts
the reason you can't find info about it is because no one is doing it. Too many things to change besides engine and tranny. If you're set on keeping the car, then look to a rebuilt 4100 but there may not be that many out there. It was not a great engine.

·
Registered
2000 Deville Base, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
1,037 Posts
the reason you can't find info about it is because no one is doing it. Too many things to change besides engine and tranny. If you're set on keeping the car, then look to a rebuilt 4100 but there may not be that many out there. It was not a great engine.
Oh I can attest to that. I bought a brand new 1984 Eldorato with that motor in it. It never rode right from the first day I had it. Always something motor related and in was in for warranty every week. After three months I had enough (I think the dealer did too) and they bought the car back for what I paid for it. The 4100 is one of the worst motors they ever built.

·
Registered
96 FWB
596 Posts
I had a dam nice '80 Riv 350 (last year of Olds 350 IIRC) and a work colleague copy-catted mine later with a same gen Eldo. It was ALWAYS in the shop and he ALWAYS complained about the motor for some reason. He resented how well mine ran and got to almost blaming me for him getting envious and making him get the Cady. I actually empathized with him a little. Actually NOT!

#spoiledlittlepresident'sson

The swap doesn't sound like a plop-n-drop but I got this hit, so maybe the '88 allows a swap as does the prior gen.

·
Registered
'85 Sedan de Ville, '10 CTS-V
558 Posts
'88 still had HT4100? I serviced our '85's engine with lifetime warranty parts until it purred like a kitten. (It ran great for us from new)... Unfortunately an accident towards the end of 2007 put her in the driveway until now...

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts