Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,I just got a 1988 eldo and I was tuning the 4.5 eng., front plugs no sweat,rear plugs "oh boy". Is there some kind of secret tool I need to get to these suckers? Walt :bonkers:

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Welcome aboard..... Thanks for signing up........ :wave:

Dont quote me, but I believe some people on some FWD engines undo the motor mounts and actually tilt the engine somewhat.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Walt said:
Greetings,I just got a 1988 eldo and I was tuning the 4.5 eng., front plugs no sweat,rear plugs "oh boy". Is there some kind of secret tool I need to get to these suckers? Walt :bonkers:
I have 1990 Seville, same engine, and it helps to have midget hands, but as I do not, I removed the bar between the top of the struts, undid the brackets on the a/c hoses to give more room, and I had 3 differnt size socket extensions, and one flexiable extn, and after lots of swearing and grazed knuckles, I finally got the job done, it is the second time I have changed them (had the car 6 years) and not
looking forward to doing them again.
Use a high temp grease on the threads for next time, it was far easier
the second time round.
Good luck

Regards

Guy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
plugs

Think I'll try strut bar and bracket first and if I still can't get it I quess it's the mounts. Gotta undo any major lines before jacking the motor? Walt

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: plugs

Walt said:
Think I'll try strut bar and bracket first and if I still can't get it I quess it's the mounts. Gotta undo any major lines before jacking the motor? Walt
Walt, you should not have to undo the mounts, that seems a bit drastic, but if you do, probably removing the exhaust would be the most important so you do not strain the pipes/fittings, and if you do not jack it too far the driveshafts should be ok, but I think the amount you would need to jack the motor to make it worth while will mean removing the driveshafts.
Good luck

Guy

·
Registered
34 Posts
my engine was jacked up to install my rear plus on my 88 eldo. just my 2 cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts