Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Eldorado Biarritz 4.9, 1988 Eldorado 4.5,
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall, got a problem!

I recently acquired a 88 eldo 4.5. havent had much time to piddle with it as im trying ever so hard to fix the misfire in my 91 eldo 4.9. but anyhow, the 88 eldorado has an issue, when shifting from park (into any gear) theres a very noticeable clunk/jerk at normal idle. go down the road a little ways, the tranny shifts fairly smooth and firm, when you slow down to come to a stop and it downshifts from 2-1st there is a horrible jerk as well as a clunking noise. my first thought was motor mount/ transmission mount, i crawled under the car and inspected the transmission mount, rolled the car back and forth while in park and there seems to be no give to it. ive inspected all the vacuum lines to the actuator, repaired and replaced, adjusted the TV cable, the transmission fluid is beautiful, car has 177,000 miles on it and judging by how bright and shiny the fluid and the outside of the trans case is, im suspecting its been rebuilt. any and all help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Put the car in gear, then apply the brakes and light throttle at the same time. With the hood open, does the engine raise up then slam down off throttle? If so, failed mount. Usually front center or it can be called the left engine mount.

·
Registered
1991 Eldorado Biarritz 4.9, 1988 Eldorado 4.5,
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put the car in gear, then apply the brakes and light throttle at the same time. With the hood open, does the engine raise up then slam down off throttle? If so, failed mount. Usually front center or it can be called the left engine mount.
Will do. First thing in the morning. Thank you for replying. I'll report in as soon as i can.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts