Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1987 Deville touring coupe with 94,454 original miles on it.. I'v tried to research this car as much as posible and haven't been able to find out much about it.. I read that this car was only made in 87' .. is that a good or bad thing? the car is in mint condition. It has no dents what so ever and few if any dings or scratches in the white paint.. the blue interior is immatculate.. it has no tears or rips or even 'wear and tear" creases in the seats. trunk looks as if it never was used. also.. this may sound like a dumb question.. but this car has a sunroof.. where these factory installed? i just registerd to this site tonight.. i plan on takin g pictures of the car tomorrow.. potential collectors car ?

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Nice find!

I'll have to check my Cadillac catalog to see if the touring coupe was an '87 only model. Basically what you have is a Coupe DeVille with a stiffer suspension, special paint, a front air dam and spoiler, fog lamps, and a slightly juiced 4.1 engine (which is a little like a high performance snail). Cadillac built them to compete with BMW and Mercedes 'personal luxury' sports coupes of the mid 80s. The car got a positive review in Motor Trend, one of the few times they were actually nice to Cadillac in the 80s. I have copy of the article; if you'd like I can scan it and email it to you.

As far as being collectible, don't hold your breath. Most Cadillac collectors don't have much love for the '85-88 DeVilles. Front wheel drive, troublesome 4.1, squared-off, downsized C-body platform styling (shared with Buick, Pontiac, and Olds). What you really have is a very cool driver.

But don't feel bad, so do I ('87 Sedan DeVille), and I love it!
Steve

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
It was made for 1987 as a Coupe and returned for 1988, and a Sedan version joined the Coupe. (Touring Sedan) It died at the end of 1988. I think what noahsdad meant to say was "Restricted Colors" rather than Special Colors. I believe they came in white, silver, grey and black. Later when I have more time, I';; check & see if I have color breakouts on them.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply. im 17 n this is a first car i got from my boss for $600.. cant beat that.,, its not really my style but some crome rims n tints .. car should be sweet.. i was gonna post some pics but im on long island ny and were goin thru a storm.. so todays not such a great day,, i was jus outside all day running power , remote n ground wires for my system ..

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
These cars were modified after assembly by , I believe a company called CARS AND CONCEPTS. During the production run part numbers for air dams, sway bars and aux lights were in a supplemental parts book for Cad. dealers. I believe the front sway bar was the same except for stiffness of the bushings, the rear bar was in fact fatter. If you are a new owner of this era of Cadillac, please follow the cooling instructions on the panel in front of the radiator! It says to replace coolant every 24 months and install cooling system sealer at that time. Please do this as soon as possible, no way to know when was done last. This is critical to life of engine! Also I recc. using DELO brand 15/40 wt oil. The sealer or "pellets" can be gotten at any GM parts dept or BARSLEAK GOLD is the same thru parts retailer. Good luck, you have a low production car! If the sunroof is not factory, there should be a decal on the driver door jamb telling who did it. Also aftermarket sun roofs had a chrome handle to shut the sun shade, factory did not if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Sorry.....I looked for the 87 & 88 production numbers on these and since they were not considered a specific MODEL - but rather an options PACKAGE, I do not have the production # on them, nor color breakouts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the replies .. i figured this was a low production car because i couldnt find it anywhere on the internet. i have a question accually .. today i was installin my power/ground, amp n subwoofers .this car has the delco symphany sound in it.. i dont know whether there is a problem with the cars factory amps or its suppose to be like this .. but when u turn the radio up more then about halfway the bass turns off . now this has nothing to do with my install because it was like this the day i bought it.. its annoying because im temp. using the amps high level speaker inputs to use for the signal for the amp to power my subs. but i cant turn it up to much because the bass cuts out n all my amp gets is highs/mid bass. in my opinion i think the symphany sound sounds awesome with the added 12 inch alpine zr's n mtx mono sub amp. but i jus cant turn it all the way up wit out loosing my lows :nono:

anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
:thumbsup: I have an idea, but you will not like it.

The car came with very unique wheels, actually specific to the Touring Coupe/Sedans of 87 & 88. I would rather have them on there, than anything else. It identifies the car of what it is.
Furthermore, I would not customize it. It's a special model, very rare, few left on the road. I would not risk bnlowing the speakers by adding 1,000 watts of sound, nor tint the windows. In New Jersey you'll have a 50% greater risk of being pulled over & detained by police, WITH tint ! They don't like it, and will cause you much discomfort, running your license, checking correctness of credentials, insurance ID cards, up to date registration & driver's license and running a VIN check to see if she's stolen. Figure on a 30 minute inconvenience. I'd imagine other states are no different.
I'd say enjoy the car you bought for the unique ride it is, and appreciate the fact that you were smart and found a great rare Cadillac. Leave the "Customazation" (I'm being kind, here) to the honDUH boys, You're a Cadillac Man ! NICE CAR - BTW !

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
theres nothing wrong with puttin tint on a car nor a sound system yea its low production but i doubt itll ever be a true collectors vechical i mean look at my car i got an 83 Trans AM pacecar one of 2500 but its got the dreaded CROSSFIRE motor. if you dont kno what that is it was developed by the same people who created the caddy 4 6 8 motor still doesnt help, ok imagine two top mounted throttle bodys used to disperse fuel into a pentium then though very tight fuel rails into the pistons. When tuned right it has more low end torque than the TPI system however no one has the equipment to tune and syncro the throttle bodys. i found one specialty shop to do it for me for 800 bucks whichi paid. Long story short its his car, i put subs and tinted my ETC why not his tint looks good on a caddy and with that huge trunk its almost begging for a sub system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts