Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start the car up, the radio works great. After a few moments the music switches over to white noise (no music - at least not to my ears). When I turn the radio off and wait a little while, and turn it back on - I get music again, but only for a little while (the cycle continues).

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
If you mean by white noise, no sound, then disconnect the battery wait a minute then reconnect. Sometimes that works, If its static type noise I would suspect one of the amps in the speakers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The noise is like "shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh". Do all the speakers have amplifers? This is real strange. It's almost as if the antinne, for that moment, is disconnected and the radio is NOT picking up the station. When I turn the radio off then back on, after a few minutes, it starts playing okay...then after a few minutes of playing the radio quits playing and the white noise comes back.

·
Registered
2000 DTS
19 Posts
i would check all antenna connections. these cars have a seperate tuner module behind the glovebox-i think it says bose on it. i have replaced several of these for similar concerns. the last time i tried to get one of these tuners new they were not available anymore. does the tape player have sound?

·
Registered
191 Posts
From symptoms it sounds like a bad receiver (or tuner or CDM, whatever you want to call it). We have a test car set up so we can plug your receiver in and test it to see how it plays. When yours is playing, stick an ear in front of each speaker and see how many of them are playing, and try to determine if they all go on and off at the same time. The point about trying a cassette is am good one, although in some instances cassette player malfunctions can silence the radio completely. We have whatever rebuilt parts would be needed. It's just a question of determining what you need.

·
Registered
2002 Seville STS (Sold), 04 XLR, 87 Allante
198 Posts
Take a pair of pliers and check the round chrome nut at the antenna. If it's loose, snug it up a little and that may do the trick. Be careful, if you tighten it too much you can break the black plastic between it and the fender.

Regards Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts