Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headliner in my 86 DeVille is completely sagging. I want to replace it myself, but i'm not exactly sure how. My main question is do I reglue the existing fabric or do I need to buy new cloth? And if anyone has done this before, I could use a few tips. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can do this yourself in about 1/2 day. I found the material locally but it is cheap on the web too. Just google 'Deville headliner' and you'll get links to several places to buy the material and the spray adhesive. You can also get the adhesive at any auto parts store. You will probably want an extra can anyway -- I needed it. Follow the directions on the can for the adhesive. There will be foam stuck to the headliner board that will have to be scraped clean. Then it is just a matter of trimming the new material to fit, and applying it to the board. If you make a mistake (air pockets or creases) correct it immediately because that is some GOOD glue. Get some double stick tape too. Inevitably you will break a plastic clip or two getting the trim off the pillars and window surrounds and the tape will help hold the trim in place after the repair. The hardest part of the job when working alone is getting the headliner board out and back in the car and that is not at all difficult. I removed the trim from the back glass first and then worked each side of the car forward to the A pillars. The screws that have to come out will be obvious. Anyone who can read the directions on the can can do it.

·
Registered
1991 Deville / 1989 BMW 635csi
896 Posts
u SHOULD by new headliner material, but it will be about 100$, u need to buy really strong spray on adhesive, also about 45-55$. Labor would be almost i think 100$. The old material is gone, there is foam in between the cloth and headliner itself. That stuff just discintigrated and is going to stick to your fingers to the touch. The headliner board needs to be twisted sideways and come out through passesnger front door, its VERY VERY FRAGILE!!!!! i would recommend taking out the front seats. Once it is out, take a nice bristle brush and take off all the shit that will prevent stick of the new stuff. When applying new material, DO NOT STRETCH IT AT ALL!!!! HOPE THIS HELPS!!

Here is the procedure:

http://www.wlsheadliners.com/tutorials/caddy/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Also, you mentioned an origonal layer of foam between the board and cloth. Is there a foam layer that I need to install?

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I attempted this proceedure on my 85 Eldorado, the headliner board itself was slighty warped, but badly deteriorated. I found the correct foam-backed material but the board was goners! I have no headliner at the moment. Since my Eldo ahs a moonroof, I'm gonna have it done professionally. So depending on the shape of your headliner board...may be easy, or not!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Faruchos said:
Thanks for the info. Also, you mentioned an origonal layer of foam between the board and cloth. Is there a foam layer that I need to install?
No, it's part of the material. The cause of the sagging is that the foam breaks down and good old gravity pulls the cloth away from it. Some of the foam material stays glued to the backer board and some stays with the cloth.

I saw the other posts about cost and broken backer board. My cost was $40 for the material and glue. I didn't pull the seats but had no problem working the board out and then back in. The board is not very hardy (woven fiber). It was broken on one side (I guess from the weight of the headliner pulling on it or maybe I broke the thing -- I don't know). I used duct tape on the back (roof) side along the break and put it back. That was a year ago and it hasn't fallen down yet.

·
Registered
1986 Coupe Deville
138 Posts
I just finished the interior of my 86 coupe deville. You should also check the A pillars, rear courtesy light panels, rear assist handles, and sunvisors. these all are covered with the same material. be sure to get enough headliner fabric to cover all of them about 6 linear yards should be enough. if you want it to match. this is not a difficult job don't rush, take your time will need to get special clips from GM for the front A pillars you must break them to remove them . 3m super 77 is a good choice for the adhesive.

hope this helps

PS have the sunvisors done professionally.

TALLPAT

·
Registered
2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham
1,519 Posts
Is it possible to use the material that is already there, or do you have to buy new material and some foam? The sagging headliner does not seem to be ripped, etc... If possible, would I be able to use the existing headliner with a new layer of foam?

PS: It's a 1987 Sedan Deville.

·
Registered
1988 Sedan DeVille
89 Posts
No because rotted foam will be stuck all over it and it will be a mess. Also it's aged, etc., and once you see it you won't want to use it. You can get a kit to do everything for $50.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Instructions on replacing headliner:

1. Turn car upside down.
2. Remove old headliner.
3. Take all clothes off.
4. Cover entire body with glue.
5. Roll all over inside of roof.
6. Wash glue off your body.
7. Roll all over inside roof.
8. Turn car right side up.

Project done!!

·
Registered
1987 sedan deville
68 Posts
Does GM still carry them? Just ordered a new one from GM for a 87 Buick Grand National. And this one has the abs plastic board. 129 bucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts