Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,697 Posts
Welcome to CCF !!!

What is wrong, where ?? Engine running poorly, suspension troubles, electrical system problems ????? Perform some basic motor vehicle troubleshooting and diagnosis and report back.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,464 Posts
You need to pull the DTC's or have them pulled by a parts store that was a scanner and will do it for you. That will tell you what triggered the SES light and then we can help you.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
4,625 Posts
You need to pull the DTC's or have them pulled by a parts store that was a scanner and will do it for you. That will tell you what triggered the SES light and then we can help you.
brings up a question: did the 1986 models have a built in scanner? Was OBD1 already in use?

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
230 Posts
GM began to use OBD-II in 1994 as it was then mandated by EPA for 1996 so your '86 is OBD-I and requires
a scanner tool that uses a 12 pin DLC (diag connector )

There normally is a Check engine (CEL)
and Service engine lights

If your is SES is on, then look at something that needs to be serviced if fluid or oil levels, battery voltages, etc

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,697 Posts
Cadillac (this website) began OBD-II protocol in the 1996 model year. Their 1995s are OBD1.

Even some early 1996 MY vehicles have a curious mix of OBD1 and OBD-II codes available.

ZR-1 is correct - a later OBD-II scanner won't work on an OBD1 port - unless maybe there's such a thing as a jumper adapter ???

·
Registered
'93 SedanDeville 60 Special
230 Posts
OBD 1 and II are not interchangeable
They use different PID calls and the lower layers use different signals and capture rate speeds

Finding tools for OBD-I is harder to find these days but here is one that works with a laptop and comes
with OBD-I hardware interface, cables and software working on MSwindows called Datacat for about $135

This allows to see all DTCs, clear them, scan, record, replay see PID values in different forms like gauges, charts, etc
and be able to export recording data into Excel spreadsheet or email to someone else to analyze.

Tunercat

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,464 Posts
If I remember correctly, IF you cannot pull the codes by pressing 2 buttons on the fuel data panel, you can do it by jumping 2 pins on the ALDL connector and counting the SES light flashes, but the specifics have long been deleted from my RAM.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
702 Posts
These cars are so ancient everybody is forgetting the basics lol. This is how you pull codes on these old classics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I remember correctly, IF you cannot pull the codes by pressing 2 buttons on the fuel data panel, you can do it by jumping 2 pins on the ALDL connector and counting the SES light flashes, but the specifics have long been deleted from my RAM.
I found it on youtube if you hold the off key and the warm key at the same time it goes into a diagnostic mode, upon completing it gave me no fault codes. It gave me a .7.
Yes I read today how to hold the off and warmer key to get the Cad into diagnostic mode, it gave me no faults and gave me the code .7.0 which is no fault code. press any key to get you out of diagnostic and clear the codes. Wow it had it's on diagnostic cool thanks for the help!

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
811 Posts
Welcome to the OBD1 model years. I keep this on hand when driving 92 Fleetwood and to check on something possibly odd.

Also, there are also options for accessing switch/sensoe controls (to adjust TPS, shut off a specific injector, etc)

DIAGNOSTICS:
To enter the diagnostics system, simultaneously press and hold the OFF and WARMER buttons with the engine running until the system activates. Any diagnostic codes will display first. When the system prompts you with .7.0 you want to press the LO button. This will force the sytem to the PCM data mode and the display will show E.9.0 Use the HI and LO buttons to scroll thru the PCM data parameters. Here is what you can access....

P01 throttle position in degrees
P02 MAP (manifold absolute pressure) in kPa
P03 computed barometer in kPa. Subtract MAP from BARO to get engine vacuum
P04 coolant temperature in degrees C
P05 MAT (manifold air temperature) in degrees C
P06 spark advance
P07 battery voltage
P08 engine RPM....tach
P09 vehicle speed MPH

P12 injector pulse width
P14 oxygen sensor voltage
P16 oxygen sensor cross counts...a measure of O2 sensor activity
P18 closed loop integrator (128 ideal...less equals leaning, more enriching)
P20 closed loop block learn value (same as above)

When driving with the diagnostics activated the icons on the climate control panel stand for other functions....kind of like tell tales on an instrument cluster....

rear defog is the VCC status
front defrost is 4 gear status
ECON is the o2 sensor status (on is rich)
AUTO is the closed loop status
OFF is the closed throttle switch status
OUTSIDE TEMP is the AC compressor request
F is the AC low pressure switch status
C is the heater water valve status
AUTO FAN is the cooling fan command status

·
Registered
91 Fltwd Coupe (93 Regal Coupe & 90 LSC SE)
423 Posts
OBD 1 and II are not interchangeable
They use different PID calls and the lower layers use different signals and capture rate speeds

Finding tools for OBD-I is harder to find these days but here is one that works with a laptop and comes
with OBD-I hardware interface, cables and software working on MSwindows called Datacat for about $135

This allows to see all DTCs, clear them, scan, record, replay see PID values in different forms like gauges, charts, etc
and be able to export recording data into Excel spreadsheet or email to someone else to analyze.

Tunercat
These cars have onboard diagnostics..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts